Thursday 1 February 2024

From MartijnN: Matilda and Marcus [Children's books, Sarah's Cart] (50 points)

As I will be visiting two sections of the Library there will be two (small) contributions this week.

As usual, the Challenge locations sends me off looking for figures that might fit a certain theme, but that I probably would not have painted in any other circumstance. These two 3d printed figures from Evan Carothers are a prime example. As soon as I saw the woman figure I was reminded of Miss Trunchbull from Roald Dahl's 1988 novel Matilda. Next I had to find a figure of a little girl, and came up with this one. As soon as I started painting her up, I found that she is really dressed like a little princess, but I think she can stand in for Matilda anyway in this little scene.

The figures are quite fine, as is anything from Evan Carothers really, and supportless which is always a boon. They painted up easily and were fun to do. I used mostly contrast paints on them and kept the bases (which are cast on) as simple as possible. The school yard, perhaps?

I just realized that I have access to Section 2 but not necessarily directly to the Statue of a Famous Person, for which I have painted my second contribution today. So, I'll use the little princess to hop on Sarah's Cart to move to the Famous Persons department in Section 2.

Now I am not going to recommend any children's books (read anything by Roald Dahl if you still want a recommendation), but I am going to tell you about a children's book that at least helped pushing me towards this hobby. You may skip directly to the end for the points total now.

Ok, for those still with us: this is not going to do you any good, as it is a Dutch book by a Dutch writer, and I doubt whether it is available in English; Marcus Napoleon by Hans Werner. It is the story of the boy Marcus, who discovers a secret entrance to a manor house where a baron is held captive by his evil servants. The baron has a massive collection of toy soldiers, and he plays with them with Marcus. Each time the baron blows a little trumpet, one of Marcus's soldiers has fallen. As Marcus has no trumpet, he will always loose. However, one day, by sending the dog through the baron's lines, he secures a total victory, and the baron names him Marcus Napoleon in recognition of his talents. Of course, together they defeat the evil servants in the end. As a young boy, I was fascinated by the tale and have read it umpteen time. Mainly because there were toy soldiers in it, obviously.

Well then, down to more serious business: the map.

And, the points:

2x 28mm foot @ 5 = 10

Children's Books Bonus = 20

Sarah's Cart Bonus = 20

Total of 50 points

TeemuL: I have read some Roald Dahl books, but not this one. Nor the Marcus Napoleon. That is very efficient 50 points for you, Martijn. The Contrast paints work well on these minis and you are making a good process through the Library. See you later at the "Famous Person!"

11 comments:

  1. Agree, nice work... although to be totally frank, reading "Matilda" in the title above, I was expecting to see a tank for some reason XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking pair of figures and nice back story, I can see why you'd like the book!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have greater imagination than I in finding figs for this! Kudos and for the nice paint job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Martijn. A fun little tour of the library and a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to read Marcus Napoleon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice wee post, lovely figures

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work and the book certainly sounds intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work and what a lovely sounding book

    ReplyDelete