Sunday 11 February 2024

From PeteF: Waterloo’s Fightin’ 44th in The Gift Shop (236 points)

One of my gaming buddies unwisely purchased Warlord’s Epic Waterloo (and many of the add ons).  I, also unwisely, asked him if he had anything that he wanted me to paint.  He said Highlanders – I countered with regulars.  I’ve never painted British Napoleonics so this is my first foray into Les Rosbifs.


Here is the 44th East Essex regiment, a rifle company, foot artillery and mounted officer.  This is what you get on one regular sprue in the Waterloo box - a whole lot of troops!  YouTube furnished a speed painting recipe - using a combination of contrasts and AP Speed Paints (which I really like).

Maybe a little too grasshoppery on the green

Even though this was speed painted (with some highlighting) it took a while  – despite being fused together in strips these 13.5mm ish fellows pack in quite a lot of detail and there are numerous opportunities to accidentally paint outside the lines (don’t look too close).


I didn’t really know what I was letting myself in for with this entry – I think NickG will be happy he has one less regiment to paint himself (and there are so many).  He got flags with the kit and will be adding those in due course. I’m looking forward to seeing the epic armies on a nice big table.




I think we score these as 15mm scale – 2 points per foot, 4 for mounted and  the gun.

104 foot = 208 points

1 mounted = 4 points

1 artillery piece = 4 points.

Gift Shop Bonus = 20 points

Total= 236 points 



Amazing work here Peter! I have only thought of the idea of picking up this boxset, let alone the effort required to paint them up. And after doing 8mm space marines in large numbers, I am not sure I could stomach such a mass of models in double that scale. 

So to see this, done so well, for so many models, and for a friend... wow.. such a great gift/assistance provided here! Hopefully he gets many more of them painted up, and offers you a game with them all. 

Great job all around, and a very hefty 236 pts for you here!
Kyle

13 comments:

  1. Lovely work at this small scale Pete. I especially liked the range of hair colours although some of the straggly hair lengths may be a little “non regulation” 🤪

    ReplyDelete
  2. Painting units of Napoleonics for a friend is a very generous thing. These look really nice with your clean and considered brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great painting indeed, they will look absolutely stunning on the field of battle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent job, they'll look great on the table

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice painting and great gift! Wonder will you now be starting an army? Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  6. An excellent start to the era. Lovely detail for that scale

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on these wee troops. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic work on these units.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are stunning, so well done

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow! I can barely paint the big models, I watched you work on these, just fantastic. Someday....

    ReplyDelete