Saturday 6 December 2014

From IannickM : "Kitty Bonny"; a gift to a friend, and my first entry (5 points)


The last few competition it took me a few weeks before submitting a first entry, so I decided to break the habit by submitting something straight outta the gate. It will put me on the board and motivate me to add to this early start.

2014 was a very difficult year for me; I spent most of the year unable to walk after undergoing three knee surgeries and at one point, after a series of complications, I seriously feared I might never get to walk normally again. Although I've mostly recovered now it's in those difficult times that you get to know your real friends, and I am lucky enough to count on a few amazing ones who supported me, visited me and cheered me up through these hard times. So I decided that, for Christmas, I would do something special and individually paint for each of them a unique figure as a show of gratitude. I rarely if ever paint for someone else and the plan is to paint something which represents them or something they love.

So my first figure of the competition is a gift to one of my best friend, Emilie, a great girl with a love of cats. In fact, she even has a cartoon cat as a tattoo on her arm. The figure is from Dark Sword Miniature's "Anthropomorphic Animals range", obviously a cat, and it's an awesome sculpt full of personality. The pink details and plumes are also a wink to Emilie's favourite colour.

I named the figure "Kitty Bonny" and I cannot wait for Xmas to give it to her.




That should give me 5 pts to start the competition with panache.

From Curt:
Iannick, it's wonderful to hear that you're on your feet again and are able to join us for the Challenge. 'Kitty Bonny' is a marvellous figure (I especially like the ears poking out from the tricorne) and I can appreciate the sentiment behind it - well done. I think your friend will be delighted with the gift. An excellent first entry.

44 comments:

  1. That's one cute kitty.
    I hope your health keeps improving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work Iannick and what a lovely idea to paint up a figure for each of the friends who helped you through those troubling times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful painting work and figure; fantastic! Happy to read your health is improving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic looking miniature and I'm very glad to hear you're both on the mend and you had great support during your recovery.

    Here's to a better 2015 for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work and a nice opener for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well if she loves cats she has to be a great person. great work on a very nice figure, well done

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree. After all I have two cats and I'm also a great person ;-)

      Delete
  7. An excellent piece and a heartwarming gift. Congratulations on your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful piece of work and a marvellous reason behind in. Great to hear you are back on your feet (literally!)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! Yes walking is awesome ;-)

      Delete
  9. Excellent job! You chose a lovely palette for her and that purple is so well done.

    So sorry to hear about the problems with your knee. Wishing you the best in future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. I'm also quite happy with the was the purple turned out.

      Delete
  10. Good to hear that you are getting back on your feet and your health is improving. Wonderful work on the miniature too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nicely executed. The challenge always seems like an exercise in giving to me. From all of Curt's hard work to the spirit of the participants. It seems very fitting that your first entry is in that spirit and in such a good cause.

    I consider the silver lining to life's hard times to be that my friends now, are the ones who have been with me through thick and thin. It's a great privilege to know who those people are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you're feeling better. It is a beautiful gift for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think she will be happy with it!

      Delete
  13. great job. I think it was possible to cover the water gloss varnish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! For some reason, I think the lighting, it appears matt in the picture.

      Delete
  14. Lovely work on that little kitty and a great way to show your gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is some beautiful work there! As has been said, a good color palate, and the sand and seashore nicely executed.

    Keep getting better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a first try for both the sand and the caribbean water, I'm happy with the result

      Delete
  16. Very cool! Inspiring - something I'd like to try someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a fun thing to do. Gets you in the spirit of Xmas early.

      Delete
  17. Now that's a f(el)ine gift and some swell brush work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A splendid figure for what sounds like a true friend. I hope that next year proves to be better for you. My best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bravo Iannick and a very lovely gift to what sounds like a true friend. I pray that 2015 is a good year for you in every way,
    I wonder what's in that cask on the beach - clotted cream, maybe? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great start to the Challenge and a fantastic looking and painted mini. Your painting has really brought out all the character for this little beauty. Well done indeed. Top start :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. A good start for your painting challenge but even more I whish you a much better year 2015. All the best !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Purr -fect! Lovely paint work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's one cool cat. Really like what you did. Hope your knee health improves everyday. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely lovely--both the figure and the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had some knee surgeries to, and I understand what you went throug! Walking is so good!
    The figures is wonderfull and cute! The base is also excellent with the water (and barrell) and sand! Very bright colours and a great gift for a friend!
    Wish you all the best for 2015!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete