Saturday 6 December 2014

MartinC's Opening Volley (92 points)

This is my first completed unit since the start of the Challenge and my first foray into ACW, recently I've been flexing my imagination on a VBCW with the brave miners of Dinnington fighting off evil Lord Ridley for control of Northumberland.

I had a day off yesterday and it was freezing so I hunkered down and painted what are nominally described as the 63rd Pennsylvania whilst listening to Half Man Half Biscuit.



Figs are part of 2 Perry infantry brigades I have planned to paint  for the challenge (236 infantry, 4 cannons and 2 mounted generals). I plan the paint them as Early's Louisiana Tigers brigade and Collis' 1st brigade of III corps. Picked them as they both have zouaves and I have box of them to paint as well. That makes me sound like a technical detail nerd (c.f. Rimmer's Risk diary - Red Dwarf on TV as I type) but really I think they'll just look cool in massed ranks.



Overall I'm fairly happy with the unit but the lighting makes them look like I've painted them with a wallpaper paste brush as all the shading has disappeared or become opaque - will have to work on that from both ends of the problem.

Having seen the entries so far I will have to up my game, or maybe just buy some cavalry and supersize my target.

Oh and my score is 90 I think.

Martin

From Curt

Wow, fast work Martin, excellent stuff. You have a good-sized project in front of you and I look forward to seeing it debut through the upcoming months of the Challenge.  
I'm going to give you an extra couple of points for the standard bearer as I know how fiddly they can be, so 92 it is. 

32 comments:

  1. A decent opener...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great start to things! I only got part way through a few figures yesterday. Can't believe you managed a full unit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers guys. Sometimes you just have to get a wriggle on. Helps that they are an easy paint and I aim for them to look OK from arms length. Need to sort out the photography though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great opening shot. Lovely looking unit Martin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta. only another 13 regiments to go but snow expected tonight

      Delete
  5. A solid opening salvo. Here I was thinking I'd be in good shape with a few figs by Sunday evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1st real go with ACW and plastics. Next unit will be better and probably slower

      Delete
  6. Impressive painting speed! Congrats on taking the lead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Love your armour. I may have a Finnish theme to one of the specials

      Delete
  7. What a great start. It will be tremendous to see you progress through these ACW figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Not an expert on ACW but enjoying finding stuff out. Almost as theraputic as the painting

      Delete
  8. Very well done! And you've stolen the lead from Samuli. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta. As the line goes it's a Marathon not a Snickers - although that may be a little parochial for the cosmopolitan crew Curt has enlisted

      Delete
  9. A great start Martin.Congrats on breaking your Challenge duck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Old cricket instructions. Don't get out 1st ball, then don't get out for a duck. After that its all easy

      Delete
  10. Great start. Try to avoid flash if at all possible, it will wipe out all subtlety in your models.

    ReplyDelete
  11. good speed painting. we joke: "You sit and paint the basement thirty Chinese?" when the paint so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That was an impressive start!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Impressive opening of The Challenge, sir!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Really pleased with the responses from all. I spend such a long time looking at eye candy that I tend to be overly critical. I suspect I'm not unique in that

      Delete
  14. Great stuff. I especially like how you did the drum, some fine detail there. They'll make the Union proud, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was supposed to be a metallic blue, thought it would shimmer but the black undercoat muted the effect. Will try different different undercoat next time

      Delete
  15. Wow. More ACW than I've painted in a lifetime in a single posting. Great opening salvo for the Challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, same for me. Not thought about ACW since I was a child with Airfix and some Charles Grant rules.

      Delete
  16. Clean and smooth painting. Top work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I doff my kepi to your speed off the block, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good start with figures of avery interesting period of the American history! Like it the way you painted that drum!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete