Saturday 6 December 2014

From SamuliS: Early War WWII German Armour (45 points)

Looking at everyone's point targets I figured I'll never have enough time to achieve fame and fortune by winning the challenge so I decided on another route with a quick dash to glory and taking the first place for at least a day! And with December 6th being the Finnish Independence day it's only suitable that I'll try protect the honour of all Finns by leading the challenge for a while :)


So to achieve this I whipped up 6 Flames of War German AFV's with a quick simple paintjob that could be achieved really fast. I got them base-coated in dark grey yesterday and painted the rest this morning by applying a few consecutive drybrush layers, decals, some enamel washes and mud. A nice quick job that in my calculations should put me just in front of Miles and hopefully with a large enough of a point lead to hold the position through the 6th :)


The vehicles themselves are Battlefront Flames of War minis, 2 Sdkfz 231 8-rad reconnaissance vehicles and 4 Panzerjäger I light tank-hunters that both saw service during Operation Barbarossa. These are the first submission of my second larger project for the challenge that is an Early War German Panzerschützen army for Flames of War.


Now with the early morning rush of painting done it's then time to relax for the rest of the day and prepare for watching the parades and independence day reception and gala on the TV.


From Curt:
Great work Samuli and Happy Independence Day!
 
I've always loved the design of the 8-rad armoured car - it's so futuristic for something that was designed in the 1930s.  
The vehicles give you a base 36 points and I'm also awarding you 9 points extra for the partial crews. You've pipped Miles to gain the front of the pack and claiming the lead... for now. ;)

19 comments:

  1. I tip my hat and concede the lead to my Finish friends!
    You are well in front of me as I count 6 superbly painted vehicles and 6.5 crew figures
    Nicely done, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great painting work in those vehicles. And a lot of fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation on being in front. Well deserved. Nice to see some early war armour as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking Early-War AFVs. Cool parade too! Happy Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hearty first entry, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Samuli! Congratulations for finding yourself at the top of the board!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a very good job, but I would like to put the black dots on the tips of the stems to make it clear that one can shoot :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work Samuli. I love the Panzerjäger I but like Curt I have a real liking for the style of an 8-rad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to see some early stuff doing the rounds. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks guys!

    The Germans definately did have some great looking designs back then in both vehicles and clothing. The 8-rad is definately great, but don't even get me started with the Motorbikes :) Sweet stuff

    Alex: Shooting is overrated :) If you look dashing enough you won't need to shoot :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superb work Samuli! They certainly do look the part and I'm looking forward to see this project unfold. Early war recently became one of my favourites too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, Samuli, a fine start.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some fine painting sir. The way in which you've managed to create individuality to each vehicle, when they all share the same paint scheme, is remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice work on the Panzer grey--it can be tricky at the smaller scales to find that balance of making it dark enough while also appealing (and visible!) to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great first entry! Love the weathering you added to these models!
    I also like that parade picture! Great colourfull flags!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete