Wednesday 30 December 2015

From EricMc - 28mm WWI Germans---Finally on the board! (100 Points)

Like most things, I am running a little behind.  Here is my first entry for the Painting Challenge. This is to adding to my WWI collection.   These are 1916-18 German Stosstruppen.  There is a mix of riflemen with a few trench raider types scattered in. 


The figures are a mix of Old Glory and Great War Miniatures.  I am a long time Old Glory fan but this is not the strongest range they make.  Great War make some beautiful figures. They are a bit taller and much more well fed than the Old Glory.  
  
I love the Gas Mask look.  One of my favorite figures is the guy in a gas mask carrying the Spandau. Its a little Hollywood in my opinion but its so fun.

  
I am still struggling with what the basing should look like.  I would love it to be dark and muddy but that really dulls down the already dull figures.   Its a work in progress and I would love any suggestions you have. 


 

20 total 28mm figures = 100points.   I think.  More to come very shortly!

 
Fantastic stuff Eric! I love seeing some WWI stuff in the Challenge. I really like your trench raiders. Which manufacturer makes the figure of the MG08/15 gunner? I need one of those. In regards to your basing, frankly I think its very good - evocative without overpowering the figure (and I can attest to the hex base for the officers - I use it as well - it makes them easy to spot on the tabletop).  
Well done Eric and welcome to the Challenge!




21 comments:

  1. Very nice work Eric - welcome to the Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top work, suitably grim and forbidding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Eric! If your running behind then I'm way behind!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you did these. Excellent work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the mad house Eric. Very nice brushwork indeed, especially with such a limited palette!

    I think the basing is spot on, giving a sense of the place and time without going overboard and grim. Perhaps add a little barbed wire of battlefield debris if anything? Have a look at posts tagged SidneyR on here if you want to see some really nice basing for the same period.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I love Sidney R's work and have spend way more time than i admit to my wife looking at his site. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why you like the Spandau gas mask figure- it's excellent! I know what you mean about the WW1 basing conundrum, I'm in a similar bind...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave,
    The one MG 08/15 pictured it Great War Minis. They are my favorite manufacturer at this point. Gripping Beast Senegalese Tirailleurs just hit my table thanks to Santa so they have have come competition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What smashing figures and from a relatively lightly represented period. Great paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the challenge. The insanity does fade after a few months.

    Very nice to see some WW1 troops. And these are very nice indeed.
    The only suggestion about bases I can offer is to make them lighter still in tone. Think dried parched earth as opposed to water logged mud, if you want the figures to stand out. But whatever you do enjoy doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's an entry - great job Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great stuff especialy that guy with the HMG at his hip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice looking bunch and welcome to this years challenge. I think the basing looks good. I'm not sure what you could do other than a mud look that wouldn't look weird.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Feat work Eric. The guy lugging the MG is a beauty in particular. Basing looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great first entry, you leapfroged me at any rate

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always love to see nice WW1 figures. It's a highly interesting period which unfortunately most of the time gets over shadowed by WW2. Your take on the uniforms looks spot on and I'd actualy keep the bases as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't change a thing about the basing. It looks great. The Spandau gunner is indeed the centerpiece. Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely work! They look months from a parade field!

    ReplyDelete