Thursday 7 January 2016

From Millsy - VBCW Militia and Armour (170 points)

My second entry is a "clearing the decks" type of effort and pretty much finishes every unpainted VBCW miniature in my collection [woot!]. My ongoing Port Sunlight 1938 project is focused around the Lever Brothers Soap Works in the Wirral. Today's entry represents some civilian militia, supporting armour and a few top-ups for the "forces of evil".

First up we have "Hector", a Warlord Games resin/metal kit which I've painted up as an import from the Spanish Civil War. He's deliberately faction-neutral in terms of markings so he can fight for different sides each week.





Fighting alongside Hector we have a mix of Musketeer/Footsore Miniatures VBCW and Artizan Designs pulp figures.






The Infamous Five: Bomber Brown, Capt Arbuthnot, Weird Uncle Cyril,
Mrs Graham's Little Boy Eric and Bomber Tomkins
Mrs Graham's little boy Eric is really too young to go on raids but his mum lets him out as long as he stays well rugged up (even if it is his horrid ugly Christmas jumper). Weird Uncle Cyril goes along to see if he can find more Jerries in the bushes. He hasn't taken that balaclava off since 1918...







My entry in Sarah's Choice this year is Margaret Graham...




Margaret Graham is Manageress of Lever Brothers Dining Room and something of a local hero. Back on 13 November 1919 she extinguished a chip pan that had set light to the clothing of a young staff member. For her efforts she was awarded the first ever Gallant Conduct Award of the British Industrial Safety First Association. She was also awarded the Port Sunlight Order of Conspicuous Merit. This is an absolutely true story - see p52 of Yesterday's Wirral: Port Sunlight a Pictorial History if you want to read more :-)


Lastly we have a couple of extras for my other factions, a BUF light mortar and a Yeomanry Heavy Mortar and crews. Again Musketeer/Footsore/Artizan and the heavy mortar is "borrowed" from 40K.






In total that's one tank, three crew served weapons and twenty-five infantry for a total of 170 points.

Happy New Year everyone...

Beeeutiful work Mr. Millsy. 'Hector' is a wonderful (if imposing) addition to your VBCW collection, and I love all the little back-stories you've created for all your various factions. The floral print on Margaret's dress is fantastic and I'm sure Sarah will love it when she see's it later today (the woman, bless her heart, works like a Trojan to keep me in the style I've become accustomed).  

170 points is a very respectable addition to your running total. Well done and a Happy New Year to you Millsy!

26 comments:

  1. Nice entry Millsy.the back stories really add to it all. Hector is cracking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. The back stories are a very big part of the fun of VBCW. Even better when they are true...

      Delete
  2. After my own recent paint-related disaster, it's nice to see that someone's efforts have been crowned with success!

    Brilliant work, Millsy, and Ms Graham is a gem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ev. Ms Graham is going to be real force on the table I think.

      Delete
  3. I do like Hector. Lovely work Millsy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. Hector seems to be an instant hit.

      Delete
  4. Nice work Hector is a great piece. Are you going to do an opponent and name it Achilles or maybe Ajax?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Funny how people's minds work. I was thinking of another angle altogether - the meaning of the name Hector in Spanish is "tenacious".

      Delete
  5. Cheers Curt. Just need to get these guys on the table now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice work on all these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice! This is a horribly tempting "period" to get into so seeing nice things like this doesn't really help me resist...... The flag and ms. graham are the best parts for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same. Just give in. It'll be easier in the end :-)

      Delete
  8. Great variety within the theme and excellent back stories. My gaming seems so mundane by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Classic Milsey stuff, really like the mix

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome painting Millsy! Realy liked the back stories as well. Maybe one day I should do 'A very German Civil War'...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Infamous Five is fantastic! Great work all around! (Is there going to be an "Achilles" tank to go with "Hector"?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work on them all! I do like Hector a lot as I know you hate to paint armor as much as I, so that makes that beastie real special! ;)
    I hope nobody is going to drag him around walls anytime soon...like an old rusty tadpole or somewhat! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh! I like Margaret Graham, she embodies exactly how I feel as manager of a large retail store during the Holiday Season!! And she is so stylishly dressed!
    Cheers!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I'm sure there are occasions when you wish you were similarly equipped as well :-)

      Delete