Wednesday 2 March 2016

From KeithS: War Plan Black, or, Ich Bin ein Idiot (160 points)

Wherein I both educate and entertain...


When I decided to try out this challenge, the first thing that caught my eye was the nautical bonus theme.  Brilliant, I thought!  This was up my alley (retired US Navy and all).  Further, two threads had sort of come together.  Number one, my very first "summer painting project" I'd taken on in my painting renaissance a few years ago was to make a set of miniatures for the old Avalon Hill game Jutland.  I'd bought a digital copy of the game from them and ended up making it all from scratch, though with minis instead of boring cardboard counters.  They turned out great and I was happy.  Number two, I'd been on a World War One reading kick for some time, and had read a book called War Plans of the Great Powers (by Paul Kennedy).  From it, I learned that the U.S. Navy's War Plan Black (of the famous colored series of plans) for war with Germany had the U.S. Atlantic Fleet gathering near the island of Culebra off Puerto Rico.  Ironically, the German war plan for war with America had the High Seas Fleet congregating at the same point.  This was too interesting to pass up, so I decided another version of Jutland with that potential fight was a must.  So that is what I made.


And so I did it -- and forgot to post it this weekend by the deadline, hence the idiot.


Oh well, I finished it too early and lost the bubble (as we submariners say).  So, here it is, better late than never.  The scenario I've worked out is that, after yet another Balkan crisis in the Summer of 1914, where Germany (and Austria-Hungary) have backed down in yet another humiliation, the Kaiser has decided he needs to do...something.  He does not want war in Europe, and he desperately desires colonies.  The most logical place?  The Western Hemisphere.  The Brits, not wanting a fight with Germany, are only too happy to let their two chief naval rivals slug it out (no matter the result, they are relatively stronger in the end).  And so on.  The orders of battle are based on actual ones from late summer 1914 (having friends with PhDs in WW1 naval history is most helpful here!).



First up, the German High Seas Fleet.  The left column are all dreadnought style battleships; second are the pre-dreadnoughts and their four available battlecruisers.  The third column are light cruisers, three armored cruisers, and transports (more on this in moment); fourth up are destroyer/torpedo boat flotillas.  All ships are stated and marked identical to those from the game Jutland by Avalon Hill.  There are a few missing (not built yet) and I added the Braunshcweig class of pre-dreadnoughts to the mix.



The American Atlantic Fleet is smaller and less advanced than the Germans.  It was not until the real war had been raging for a few years that the U.S. actually made a strong press to build "a navy second to none."  Left are the dreadnought battleships; second are older battleships; third are armored cruisers and scout cruisers; and fourth are destroyer flotillas.

 The American main battle line.


The Germans from another angle.

More Germans.

The original game Jutland is a rather straightforward pounding match between a superior British and smaller German fleets.  For my War Plan Black scenario, the Americans are at a big disadvantage.  However, the scenario I have planned is a grab for colonies for Germany, and that means soldiers, which means transports.  So, the game (when finished) will have the Germans trying to slip transports into Central and/or South America to land troops (I have much of this worked out but it is not miniature related, so I am glossing over it).  Anyway, the UK guy who sold me the minis (Mick Yarrow) included a model of the Mauretania, which I have pressed into service as the SS Vaterland, the largest and fastest transport in the world in 1914, property of the US-Hamburg line.  It is now the main transport for the Germans, along with a few other smaller conversions.




Now, I am all about storage.  This is my original Jutland storage set-up, which is going to become the one for War Plan Black (I bought a slightly larger case my Jutland stuff is going into presently, as there are more ships in that scenario).  The case:


Inside, there is storage for rules, cards, tons of misc supplies, and all the play aids (range finders, maneuver aids, etc):


The ships all go on trays, one for each side.  As you can see, my Jutland ships overflowed slightly into a cigarillo case (they are all magnet-based).  These will just fit the War Plan Black fleets, once I can move the Jutland ones to their new case.  The trays fit snugly in the leather case and the whole set up is perfect for travel (I'm bringing Jutland to Gary Con in Lake Geneva, WI this week!)


So, I am an idiot for forgetting to post this, but I am quite pleased with the results nonetheless.  I have two games of Jutland scheduled this weekend.  When I get back I am going to run my War Plan Black Scenario and see how that goes -- it'll probably take some play testing to get right.  The U.S. is at a big disadvantage, so I'm hoping the transports will balance things a bit!  Still, I'd rather get it right historically, game balance be damned!

p.s.  I have my "risk takers" challenge finished, too.  Hopefully I learned my lesson and won't forget that!!

Two posts in a day Keith , grand stuff.  Oh my - battlefleets in a box. Its a cracking entry Keith. Looking at them i think these are 1/3000th  so i classed the capital elements as 2 points and more generic at 1 - for a grand total of 160 - so that might make up for missing your bonus round points! Your target has been upped to 1500 hurrah!!

Wednesday crew - what a grand job you have done today - over 1000 points added to tallies you deserve to  take a short holiday.....
.....
.....
.....

right did you enjoy that - now get the brushes twirling... well I did say "deserve" 

Right then over to Millsy Minion... and the Downunderbirds who will have some comments about the weather being slightly warm , and being too busy chucking prawns on the barbie...

20 comments:

  1. Fantastic entry and a really cool world war plan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work Keith! The fleets look brilliant and I particularly like your storage solution - very elegant.

    Paul Kennedy's work is brilliant. Have you read Massie's 'Castles of Steel'? It's an excellent read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - neat entry, and I love all the background. I'm even imagining some land gaming featuring Germans vs. US as the Kaiser's expeditionary force(s) land...awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking fleets. I get the brain fart, been there done that! What scale and make are your Armadas? Jutland was my first proper Wargame, so I have a soft spot for this entry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic entry! A seemingly very fun game in the works! A follow up with land forces would be great fun! I myself dislike point lists, forces don't always match up in power and victory isn't always a tactical win! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fantastic project, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome project and I really like the scenario. Great looking ships.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic stuff! And a very interesting What-if scenario! Great looking carrying case :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to get into Naval wargames. probably not this exact period but still what great inspiration and incentive seeing these 2 fleets. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this really is a labour of love. Great to see something like this come together and the fleets will look just spiffing on the tabletop, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post - love the fleets and the case and have fond memories of the game Jutland. Just a fantastic entry!

    Bravo Zulu!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Impressive! My I suggest taking a look at the Avalanch Press Game "Great War at Sea: Warplan Black" I believe the rule and scenario booklet is available for free on thier website (it was at on point anyway) they have some great ideas for USN vs. High Seas Fleet action.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very impressive!

    If it any consolation... the same happened to me too. Only I messed up the date when it came to the defensive terrain round and since I can only post terrain during that round.... who is the bigger idiot now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool, both the entry and the "What If?" scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic project! I especially love the storage solution for them. It looks like you need some old travel labels stuck on the case and some manila envelopes (to store all the paperwork) with TOP SECRET stamped on them to finish it off :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! A favourite subject of mine and very well presented too. Your storage case is simply bad ass.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy moly, brilliant fleets and the article is very enjoyable as well,thanks heaps for that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely little armada. I like the wakes as well!

    ReplyDelete