Wednesday 20 December 2017

From MilesR: 28mm KV-1 along with KV-2 - and so it begins.... (20 Points)

 My first challenge submission is a KV-1 / KV-2 tank - one of my "favorite" tanks from WW2.  Its a plastic model from Warlord that has a single chassis and two different turrets - one for a KV-1 and one a, wait for it..., a KV-2!

 The kit is so-so in terms of quality but a bargain price wise as you also get 8 28mm russian infantry figures.  They'll show up later in the Challenge.

 I dashed the paint and weathering job out this morning so it's pretty simple.  This tank is also the first thing to be painted since July so it felt good to knock the painting cobwebs off.
As you can see compared to the plastic 28mm FJ's this is a massive beast.  In fact, one could consider this tank to be a "monster".

:)
 Sorry for the picture quality but I need to rush out to work - last day before the holidays!
I suspect you'll see a lot of 28mm WW2 stuff from me over the course of the next 3 months.

Paint On, Dudes!











________________________________________

Another tradition that has developed over the past half-dozen years is that Miles always has an entry ready within hours of the Challenge kick-off, and true to form, here he is with this heavy tank to open his race to his 2000 point target. 

This is a very imposing lump of armour, especially when compared to those awaiting fallshirmjagers and the light vehicles in the background. Truly an armoured monster. I like the rust and weathering of the tracks, though you may want to hit it with a bit of dullcote to kill the Fresh-from-the-People's-Tractor-Factory paintwork. Then again, maybe they gave it a polish to impress the invaders. ;)

Your 1% there Miles. 

Thus the machine turns over its engine...

25 comments:

  1. Excellent start...point are on the board folks. Time to kick the tires and light the fires!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start, Miles!! I feel like I have barely awoken, had a coffee, had lunch - and there you are with completed and painted models. Terrific work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start those tanks are scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We could use a KY chassis to clear some snow out around here...well done Miles...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great start on the challenge Miles! And congrats on claiming the first position!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And so it begins. I'd like to say I was surprised you were the first cab off the rank but that would be utter bull...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice tank(s) Miles and a great start to your Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stolen a march on us again Miles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought that you were following a slower approach this year Miles. That's an imposing looking behemoth you got yourself there. Nice work on the weathering and decals etc - I just don't have the attention to detail and patience to do WW2.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work, Miles! You even got the decals too! I am rather fond of the KV too, but mine detoured to Scifi and a Valhalla force. Hopefully the purists won't lynch me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the comments - I got up at 4:00am to get the tank painted - that's a whole 30 minutes earlier than my usual 4:30am

    It's a really basic paint job but I do need to dull coat the model - I didn't have any on hand.

    Looking forward to seeing everyones first submissions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great start Comrade! Who doesnt love the massive slab sided KV-2 - an unappreciated design trait methinks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I hate painting vehicles, they take me ages- I’m impressed you got this beast done so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pleasant painting. But there is a small inaccuracy in the inscription on the tower KV-1. In the first letter (Cyrillic "Ч") the lower curl should look to the right. And now it reads like a letter "У".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then, ummm, this a captured KV-1 that's been marked up by either Germans or Finns with really bad translation skills or poor penmanship.

      Yeah, that's it

      :)

      Delete
  15. Great job! The Grand Master once again shows us an example. I almost resigned myself that the participants do not know the Russian language and I'll just write that it's not "УЕКИСТ" but "ЧЕКИСТ"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice job and a great way to get off the mark!

    ReplyDelete
  17. nicely done miles, the first thing you painted since July!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great start Miles! Despite your little spelling error (I of course spotted it instantly *cough*) a fine piece and just the right thing to smash the enemies of mother Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done with that nice looking tank. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was a fast start. It looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Grwat looking piece of armour, it sure will look bgood on the table!

    ReplyDelete