Wednesday 24 January 2018

From JamesM (Part 1): More guns, more firepower! German 15mm Quad Flak (42 points)

Hi Folks,

Last weeks rushed entry consisted of yet another battery of German Flak. Another load of Luftwaffe troops from III Flak Corps, care of Normandy 1944. The guns are quad mounted 2cm Flak38 AA guns, which were introduced in an effort to increase the hitting power of the 2cm gun. Each 'gun' had a theoretical rate of fire of 1800 rounds per minute, with each gun firing. Although I think this was effectively far lower in combat, normally around 800 rounds a minute.

These are Battlefront models (code GE535) and are 15mm in scale. I messed up slightly as I gave the limbers for these guns to the 3.7cm Flak I painted the other week... Again, I went with the large bases as the medium sized one shown on the web site just looks too cramped!

I'm sure you'll be pleased to know these will be my last 'light' German AA models - unless I decide to dig out the self propelled stuff...




Just to prove to Ray there are crew figures...


In keeping with the earlier Luftwaffe manned guns, I've gone with a similar style of camo on the gun shield and Luftwaffe blue trousers on the gunners. I only had 2 camo jacketed crew to paint for these guns, but I was much happier with how they turned out this time. Frustratingly, one of the plastic bases is somehow warped, but not much I can do about that now!

A week late as I didn't submit last week till later on the day, and it was not posted.

So these are 3 x 15mm guns and 6 standing 15mm gunners and 9 sitting gunners - for a total of 15 gunners for 30 points and the guns are another 12. A total of 42 points!

From Ray

Wonderful brushwork once again James, apologies for not getting these chaps out last Wednesday, but I was tucked up in bed, snoring my head off when you set the copy draft up. 
Anyhoos....I'm loving learning all these facts about German Luftwaffe artillery, that pre Challenge I never knew even existed! Love the camo work on the guns and of course the blue trousers. 
I definitely think you made the right decision on the larger bases. Sometimes Battlefront bases just aren't man enough for the job and you wouldn't have been able to add other scenery bits and bobs like the flowers. Top job James!
These like you said will earn you 42 points!



21 comments:

  1. More lovely Luftwaffe AA goodness! Basing is again great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I’ve some 88’s to do for them, then the Luftwaffe contingent is done till I can find the willpower to do the ‘security platoons’ for them!

      Delete
  2. Still being amazed how you can get so much from such small lead pieces. Terrific basing too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time and practice! These figures are nice and I’ve done a few of them now, although I’m the first to admit there are others out there who’s work blows mines away!

      Delete
  3. Gunuary seems to keep going at a great pace James - nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin!!! Not much more to do for it this year *sobs*. Not sure who I’m trying to kid...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Dave - ready to shoot at some tiffies in Feb!

      Delete
  5. Great stuff James, loving your output on this project. You made the right call on the base size - you need space to swing one of those suckers about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - I know it can be a bit boring all this samey stuff, but it’s helping me get stuff done!

      Delete
  6. Well done James, you do great 15mm stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful work on the AA guns! I like the basing as much as the posing and positioning of the crew. No two look alike and the sprinkling of camouflage troopers adds to the mix very well!

    ReplyDelete