Tuesday 15 January 2019

From KenR - 28mm Italian Wars Mounted Crossbow (60 Points)


Another little mini entry this week to keep the scoreboard ticking over whilst the Papal Pike Block grows off screen, a unit I hope to have done next week.

A little bit more subtle this week after the glorious colour and excitement of last weeks Gendarme we have a unit with a bit less glamour, a unit of 28mm Mounted Crossbow.


6 figures again, these are Perry's Miniatures but rather than coming from the plastic box set these are metal figures on plastic horses (which are bought separately). So that's 6 x 28mm Cavalry at 10 pts a piece for a comfortable 60 points.


Pretty pleased I have been keeping to my one unit of Cavalry per week as it's keeping my total moving, next week I have the next unit of Gendarme lined up it won't be long before some Italian Wars gaming can commence.




Once again a lovely unit of mounted troops. I'm going to show my ignorance of the period now... so I assume these guys dismounted to shoot, because I'd imagine reloading a crossbow from the saddle would be more than a bit tricky? Very nice work of these by the way. Its nice that they are all unique individuals but the colour palette brings them all together and makes them feel like a cohesive unit. A nice solid 60 points will indeed keep the points ticking over. 

I'm look forward to seeing all your Italian Wars stuff in a group shot at some point (hint hint). 
Lee

35 comments:

  1. They certainly seem like veterans who've been through the mill. I love the motley appearance - very convincing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Mercenary Crossbow are definitely not the sort of people you want to meet in a dark alley.

      Delete
  2. Lovely unit of mounted crossbows, Ken. Very much looking forward to seeing your upcoming pike block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, Pike Block definitely next week 👍

      Delete
  3. Very good painting Ken! I also like your scenic photos slot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sander, I always try and make it a bit interesting , that and there is a WW1 Mesopotamia game going on in the background I need to hide.

      Delete
  4. Ken that's a smashing unit, the Perry Renaissance range is one of my faves. As for Lee's question - the short answer is that we're not sure and interpretations vary. The long answer involve much Chianti and a historical bun fight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, I am firmly in the fired from horseback camp when it comes to Crossbows, plenty of contemporary art shows it and with a simple latch load it could be done.

      Delete
    2. I'm with you Ken although I draw the line at matchlock arquebuses with lit slow match waving around the horses head! I also accept that individual riders dismounted to shoot but retain high mobility.

      Delete
    3. Having rode a few horses in my salad days I'm not sold on it. Solely firing a loaded crossbow from horseback? Sure. Reloading a crossbow while moving in a mass? I'm not convinced. I think that while they could let off a volley of initial shots, they primarily used the horses to maneuver on the battlefield and then dismounted to do their work. But, hey, that's just my opinion, held for games that I GM. :)

      Delete
    4. No chance with a windlass loader but the straight pull back latch, less powerful but do able. Hunting on horseback with Crossbow was quite common at the time so my money is on the mounted firing option but at reduced range / impact.

      Delete
  5. Lovely bunch of mounted crossbow men! Really nice finish and looking forward to your papal pike block!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great looking unit. I like the individual colours each man is wearing, it gives them a bit of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, a Cadburys All sorts of a unit 😁

      Delete
  7. Awesome! Nice painting! Always great to see Perry Miniatures in this time period. Cheers

    ReplyDelete