Tuesday 15 January 2019

From TamsinP - 15mm Seven Years War Russians (260 points)



Yes.  I know.  In my entry last week I did say that you might not be seeing any 15mm from me this Challenge, but I just didn't fancy starting on a 28mm project straight after those early WW2 Aussies.  So I looked through what else I had in the queue.  I didn't fancy starting on my Mongols; I haven't figured out a colour scheme yet for my Kra'Vak; the Ming Chinese didn't jump up and shout "paint me"...

Which just left some more additions for my already huge SYW Russian army.

Let's start with the infantry.


Azovskiy Regiment





This regiment fought in the battles of Gross-Jagersdorf, Paltzig and Kunersdorf.


Butyrskiy Regiment





This regiment, along with the 1st Moskovskiy, was one of the two oldest regiments in the Russian army being formed in 1642.  Originally titled the 2nd Moskovskiy Selective Regiment, it was renamed in 1727.  They fought at the battles of Gross-Jagersdorf and Zorndorf.


Kievskiy Regiment





This regiment fought in the battles of Gross-Jagersdorf, Paltzig and Kunersdorf.


Narvskiy Regiment





This regiment fought in the battles of Gross-Jagersdorf, Paltzig and Kunersdorf.


All the sculpted flags were hand-painted in my usual "impressionist" style. Here are some close-ups:


Azovskiy and Butyrskiy

Kievskiy and Narvskiy
With these four regiments painted, that leaves me with just nine more infantry regiments to achieve my megalomanical goal of having all the regiments which fought in the Seven Years War.  And the Observation Corps and some more converged grenadiers I suppose.


And now for the rest:


Cossacks





Just three more regiments of these.  I've had to reorganise the box-files my army are stored in (adding two) which has left me with plenty of space for more of these hooligans:



Artillery Limbers






Artillery






I know what you're thinking - there's only one gun there.  Actually, a howitzer which is the only artillery piece I painted this time.  That is because I already had more artillery pieces than artillery bases, but needed a 2nd howitzer.

The fusiliers on the artillery and limber bases were spare infantry figures.

All the figures here are 15mm from Essex Miniatures.


Now, for the scoring:

Infantry - 72 x 15mm foot = 144 points
Cossacks - 18 x 15mm mounted = 72 points
Artillery limbers - 4 horses, 2 infantry, 2 limbers = 16 points
Artillery - 8 foot and 1 gun = 20 points
Total - 252 points (plus any extras for the hand-painted flags)


Now, if you've been good boys and girls this week, you might get another 15mm submission from me today.

And before I forget, a little snippet of information for you.  All of the infantry and artillery (crew and fusilier) figures in this submission were painted throughout - highlights included - using a size 3 Da Vinci Maestro brush, rather than my usual sizes 1 and 0 W&N Series 7 brushes. I did it just for larks to see if it could be done.



Tamsin, your ability to turn out lots of painted mini's - and at such high quality - is the stuff of legends, and this entry is the same. As for your SYW megalomania, there is probably a radical treatment available somewhere, but please don't take it! 

As a veteran Minion I can't fault your points calculation for these, but I'm throwing in an extra four points for the flags. The fact that they are hand painted and not decals is very impressive, especially at 15mm. And just because I can I'll top this up with another 4 points for the overall quality of the entry bringing the total up to 260 points. Keep em coming Tamsin, there's plenty more room on the scores spreadsheet for your entries!
Lee

19 comments:

  1. What a brilliant collection of Russians Tamsin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great army. Convinces me that it's time I invested in a Russian SYW army (Frederick on one front and Ottomans on the other, what could be better?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking SYW Russians! Looking forward to the observation corps!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff - your perseverance to get through so many is most impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work Ms P, you get results better than my 28s in 15mms! Love the flags, well done on those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crackin' work once again Tamsin. How many regts of foot have you now? Love the flags and the Cossacks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Russian collection must be sarting to rival the historical Russian hords. Lovely work as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't go wrong going back to a little Lace Wars. Very nice brushwork, Tamsin. Your impressionistic flags work the trick to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tamsin, you paint Russians as if you live in Russia and you know the history of this country very well. This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool, esp since you were using a wallpaper paste brush

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just great Tamsin! Love your 15mm stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, now that you have beaten 15mm with a size 3 brush will you be taking on 6mm? :)
    Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well one can see you haven't been idle! Well done Tamsin!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  14. The flags are fantastic. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Lee - thanks for the extra points! I believe that the only known cure for this megalomania is completion of the project! :)

    @ Fran - cheers, m'dear! :)

    @ Sander - thanks! Just a small addition to the army :)

    @ Dean M - cheers! :)

    @ Noel - thanks! Not to forget the Swedes in a "what if?" campaign :)

    @ Iain - cheers! The Observation Corps won't be appearing any time soon I'm afraid :)

    @ Jamie M - thanks! Given the number of regiments left to paint, the project will probably still be ongoing for AHPC11! ;)

    @ Peter D - cheers! I think that having painted so many of them already really helps with getting nice results :)

    @ Ray - thanks! These take me to 30 foot regiments (4 Grenadiers, 24 musketeers, 2 converged grenadiers). Plus all the cavalry and artillery :)

    @ Adam - cheers! It's getting close! :)

    @ Curt - thanks! The flags are a B****r to paint, but worth the extra effort I think :)

    @ Alex - thank you! Most of my historical knowledge of the SYW Russians comes from Kronoskaf and the Osprey books. I initially went for Russians because nobody else at the club had them, but I have come to love them, even if all the foot regiments look the same! Still, just another 19-23 regiments of green and red to paint :)

    @ Martin C - cheers! It took a bit of getting used to, painting with a larger brush, but it has its benefits - not having to rinse as often, less frequent dips into the paint... :)

    @ Nick - thanks! :)

    @ Stuart L - cheers! I'm not sure about using a size 3 for painting the wee 6mm figures, but I am tempted to give it a go now.
    Challenge.....accepted! :)

    @ Christopher - thanks! Am I ever idle? :)

    @ Greg - cheers! :)

    @ Ken - thanks! :)

    @ Barks - cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete