Wednesday 2 January 2019

From Rob Hingley - Have TARDIS, Will Travel (95 Points)

This is my first submission to the IX painting challenge.  It consists of 1 vehicle (The Tardis) and 15 x 28mm figures for a total of 90 points (See below, Rob - you may be pleasantly surprised - Ev).

Doctor Who is a favorite Sci-Fi choice for many gamers I know to watch. I believe we choose our favorite Doctor to be the one(s) to whom we were introduced in childhood.  Mine were the first two, which aired in Canada on the CBC in the mid-1960s.

I wasn't introduced to the Tom Baker years until sometime in the mid 1980s as re-runs on PBS.

As I wrote my introduction was to the first two doctors. A simple presentation of
a Tardis, based upon photos from the original series, with the simple word POLICE in black lettering above the door.


The TARDIS was a Constabulary Communications Cabinet produced by Ainsty Castings as part of their Professor What line. They are a great source of resin terrain pieces.

Three figures, two in homage to the first Doctor, played by William Hartnell, Richard Hurndall and David Bradley. The third figure represents the 2nd Doctor played by Patrick Troughton. I believe the figures were produced by Crooked Dice as part of their Temporal Traveler Series which I think is no longer available.


The First Doctor

The Second Doctor
(Note: In the comments the Doctors were identified as being from Black Tree Design's Dr Who range. Black Tree is definitely one of my go to sources for miniatures.)

Next is a group of 12 Scary Scarecrow figures from the episode Family of Blood which aired in 2007. These figures were purchased from the Woodbine Design Company through Gripping Beast.



I wanted to keep these figures drab using various earth tones, but in the end decided to add just a splash of colour to a few of the figures.


The light was not the best this morning 45 mins after sunrise. I had hoped to take the photos yesterday but I spent the best part of the sun either on Skype or the phone. Happy New Year to one and all.

Note: I was able to get a couple of photos taken before I left for the office and have replaced the earlier ones of the Scarecrows.
__________________________________________________________

Cracking work on this assemblage of figs, Rob, though as a 28mm vehicle, the TARDIS now scores 20 points. The fact that the TARDIS is much bigger on the inside can have no bearing on the final score (hey, I don't make the rules...).

As a long-time Doctor Who fan, I can only approve of this submission. The Family of Blood two-parter was one of my absolute faves, and the scarecrows were a wonderfully chilling addition to the roster of bad guys in the Whoniverse.

So that's an opening salvo of 95 points, well done that man!

Ev

16 comments:

  1. I completely missed the Dr. Who experience when I was a kid (Space 1999 was more my thing), but vicariously enjoy everyone's delight in the lore of series. Great work Robert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was soooo disappointed there was no eagles to take me on missions in 1999! ;)

      Delete
  2. Smashing work, Robert. The three Doctors are all "Black Tree Design" sculpts from their "Doctor Who" range, which still seems to be going...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the clarification. The pile of lead continues to grow but it is sometimes hard to keep track of where it comes from. I do have some Crooked Dice figures I will be painting up before the end of the Challenge.

      Delete
    2. No problems. I only mentioned it in case you were thinking of getting more, as they seem to have found another box or more to sell. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Lovely TARDIS and doctors ( sorry predictive text will only write TARDIS in capitals!) The scary scarecrows are suitably scary too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work on The Doctor, the TARDIS and those scarecrows :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work on the Dr(s) and the Tardis. My Doctor had the snazzy scarf! ;)
    I really like those scarecrows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gifted a old 25mm Dr Tom that I have to touch up along with a few other figures. Pretty sure they were from the Harlequin range from the mid to late 1980s.

      Delete
  6. Well done Robert. Love those scarecrows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't go wrong with a bit of Dr Who, unless you count the new series that is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice doctors. I especially like the Tardis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great minis. Dr. Who is a classic. (My first Dr was a Vet). The scarecrows look suitably creepy, just the sort of thing to frighten young children.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff! The scarecrows are terrifying.

    ReplyDelete