Tuesday 31 December 2019

From ByronM - Imperial Storm Troopers (196 Points)

Continuing on with my Imperial faction for Star Wars: Legion, here are 4 units of Storm Troopers. 

The whole backstory for my Imperial force is they are hunting out the rebels on a desert planet, simply so that I could base them up to work with my desert based middle eastern building and Tattoine buildings that I make.


As such, I tried to go for a worn desert look similar to what you would see in the Mandelorian.  To achieve the look I painted them all with their white and black colour sections then clear coated in with a gloss clear.  I then slopped on a bunch of AK desert weathering grime (oil based), let it dry, and then used some hand-dandy GaiNotes panel liner sticks (thanks again for recommending those Greg!) and some odorless thinner to clean up all the paint that was not in the recesses. 


I find this wash method is super fast and comes out way cleaner looking than any acrylic wash you could ever do, simple because you can precisely remove excess wash with the panel liner sticks (think super dense / stiff q-tips).


All of these figures are all from the core box set (well two core boxes) and painted up as a very simple Red 1, Red 2, Blue 1, Blue 2 squads.  Each commander has a colour coded shoulder pad with the appropriate white stripe(s) and then each trooper has a set of dots under their base to identify which squad they go with.


While the images give them a slightly yellow tone, that mainly comes from the light and reflecting off the bases.  For some reason even with all of Curt's photo tricks he taught me, I can't get them both white balanced and black balances, which is I suspect since these images are essentially only white and black!

These 4 squads should net me a cool 196 points as the Star Wars Legion game is a much larger scale at close to 40mm tall for most figures!  I have several more squads to finish up my force for the Imperials, so watch for more in the near future.

_____________________________

Wow, that is a mess of Stormtroopers, Byron. White can often be a little tricky to pull off well, but these look brilliant and your tips will come in very helpful for those thinking of collecting a force of these. 

While these fellows are certainly a hit, when the topic of Stormtroopers comes up we often think of something like this:


Well done Byron!

-Curt


16 comments:

  1. These are ace Byron . I look forward to,seeing all our Star Wars stuff together

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great, I now have some Gaia Notes panel liners in my Amazon basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are well worth trying out, just keep in mind they work best with oil paints, as the thinner takes off the paint. I have heard of people using them with acrylics, but I just can't see how that would work. The ones I use say gaianotes g-goods series 06 the finish master along the top, there are a few other sizes as well, but these seem to work well.

      Delete
  3. These look great, awesome weathering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s a great bunch of loyal soldiers of the only true and just power in the galaxy. Now go on, these are not the droids we're looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can all but hear the Imperial March start to play, great set of figures and brilliant work on the weathering. Now does anybody know of a Storm Trooper Band to actually play the Imperial March?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking stormtroopers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely painted squad. I need to investigate the panel liners as I use MIG's products (similar to AK's) for the weathering of my vehicles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make work a lot easier! And yes, I have some MIG as well as AK.... in fact I use the brand names interchangeably since they were 1 company before (and may have merged back at some point, or not...) and their products are pretty much identical to me

      Delete
  8. They've come out very nicely, your washing and weathering works well.

    ReplyDelete