Friday 3 January 2020

From BenitoM: Roman Landing Party at Sander's Sand Dunes (70 points)

This entry marks my landing at Challenge Island. I have sent a party of ferocious and motivated Early Imperial Auxilia as exploratores towards Sander's Sand Dunes... hopefully it will be veni, vidi, vinci allover until the final domination of this mysterious island.
 

The condition to score is something RED, and red are the tunics of my unit. Incidentally this totally historical: when researching the Early Imperial Romans, the general consensus among the historians is that Legionaries tunics may have been red and white mainly; blue was only wore for marines and no way green (sorry, Asterix fans). For those interested, Legions of Rome by Stephen Dando Collins I found particularly useful as a source to research Romans (...and a bargain at US$4.99 in electronic edition).


Auxilia wore chain mail and oblong flat shield, instead of the well-known lorica segmentata and rectangular curved shield of the mainstream legionaries in the Early Imperial era. 

This unit is the first of my Auxilia Cohors Peditata for the incoming (April 2020?)  Infamy! Infamy! rules by TooFatLardies. Each unit is made of 8 models and 4 units conform a "formation", led by a Centurio and an Optio.

 
The models here presented are the Victrix Early Imperial Roman Auxilia plastic. Although they need a little bit of assembly and gluing (something bothering to some people), the superb sculpting and the variation provided (see photo of the sprue) I really believe offset any inconvenience. The poses chosen are attacking with the gladius, the next units will feature javelins and pilums.


I have based individually in 20 x 20 mm squares and then use a movement tray adapted to the rules. The idea is that if we use some other set of rules, avoid rebasing (the wargamer's curse) and instead acquire other suitable movement tray. Bases and movement ray are from Warbases.


In these models I'm also using for the first time the Scale Color metals ranges, both for the chain mail and the helmet. Scale Color are absolutely superior to the Vallejo's mainstream metals (which will probably end in the dustbin). I can't recommend more this range, stunning finish. Now, the only problem is that you can't varnish the model, otherwise the "wow!-effect" is lost. 

Finally, for the shileds I use the Little Big Men Studios transfers created specifically for the Victrix Auxilia (also used for the Roman Cavalry) 

As noted in a previous post, these are very tall figures, close to 30mm rather than 25/28mm and don't mix well with other manufacturers ranges, specially Wargames Foundry. Having said that, we have been testing the rules opposing Warlord/Victrix Romans with Foundry's Celts/Gauls and I can assure that nobody really notices once on the table.

With this entry I will add 70 points to my challenge:

8 models (28 mm)  @ 5 points: 40 points
Sander's Sand Dunes: 30 points

With the beach head secured, now it's time to move inland. Next stop at Millsy's Millpond.



"They've all got in in for me!" That's a lovely octet of Roman auxiliaries, Benito.  And just enough red to qualify for this island location.
I can't fault your maths - 70 points it is!

TamsinP

14 comments:

  1. These look really fantastic, will check out the paints, vallejo metals not good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely auxiliaries. Nice sculpts and you’ve done a wonderful job on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just realised that I forgot to comment about the Vallejo metallic paints. I'm guessing you mean the Model Colour ones; yes, they are bad but there is a trick I've learned - thin them a little with glaze medium. Alternatively use the Model Air metallic paints (apart from the Gold and Brass which are hideous to use; the grey metallics and the copper are great though).
    I haven't tried the Scale Color range, but have heard good things about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I agree with Tamsin. The Model Air metallics, on the whole, are quite good, especially the Gunmetal and Steel.

      Delete
    2. ...and I almost forgot to say, these legionnaires look terrific, Benito, especially the bright bronze helmets.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I was talking about the normal colours. The Scale range was suggested by one of my club mates who is an outstanding painter (and Challenger this year) and I have fallen in love with them. I haven't tried Vallejo Model Air though.

      Delete
  4. Great work Benito. It's too bad the Victrix sculpts are so tall, but they sure do look sharp, and seem to keep nice detail, something that so many plastic figures fail to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab auxilia, I'll have to look up the Scale Color metals, although I'm currently happy with the VMC metals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking auxilia! I've got some geriatric GW gunmetal, not sure what I'll do when it runs out!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ll keep my eyes out for those paints.

    ReplyDelete