Friday 3 January 2020

From SebastianR: Making it ashore (35 points)

We sighted land in the early morning, the island rising out of the sea mist on the horizon and rapidly growing closer.

In the shelter of the the large bay I could see a number of larger ships, cruise liners, tall ships, ironclads, junks, hydrofoils, even an aircraft carrier. I was late.

"How do I get ashore?" I asked the captain of the ramshackle craft I had called home for the past week.

"We can't get into the shallows, you'll need to contract one of them." He indicated a number of smaller boats ferrying adventurers and their gear ashore.

Getting the attention of one of these ferrymen proved more difficult than expected. Many of them had already filled their boots with fees from other adventurers, or saw my solo expedition to be just to small to be worth their while.

It was getting dark, and we had been riding at anchor for hours when the fox pulled up.



A veteran of a long forgotten war and a person of few words, his sampan seemed unsuitable for the choppy waters of the bay, but I wasn't in a position to argue. With the help of the crew I lowered my sparse equipment into the boat - the maguffin magnet, the phlebotimiser, the badger repellent - and we set off towards The Island, my heart in my mouth and breakfast in the sea.

***

I'm actually quite proud of the paint job on this one. This is the first mini I've completed in a year. 


The fur/flesh was my biggest worry, but I seem to have pulled it off.


The figure wasn't originally going to be for anything - beyond getting me a beach head, but now I think he's going to form the gunner for a new post apocalyptic gang.

***

Points wise, I think that's 5 points for the model and 30 points for landing at Douglas' Shallows for a total of 35. I'm not counting the Sampan as I haven't actually painted it, just constructed it. I quite like the aesthetic of unpainted foreground-esque models.


Welcome to the Challenge, Sebastian! That's a great paintjob on a truly bonkers miniature - he certainly looks like he means business. He'd certainly fit in nicely as an NPC-type (or even as a PC) for a bonkers Vietnam/sci./fant mashup game. Or maybe for a modernised version of Burrows & Badgers? If you're including humans, this cunning fellow could be a "Kitsune" (a Japanese shapeshifter - think werefox). 

TamsinP


12 comments:

  1. welcome to the island, great job on this figure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fox-man is more than welcome at Douglas’ shallows Sebastien. I like the Sampan model too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great figure and a great way to start the Challenge - that "fur-flesh" certainly does work. The only problem might be that a figure as interesting as this demands a squad, or a platoon, or an army to back him up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great figure , and nice to catch you on the chat last night .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb figure and I enjoyed the back story - nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome figure, and it looks like he's not short of ammo either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on this figures, Sebastian. Where is it from and how's your experience with Model Box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Model Box' own mascot. He gets dressed up as a whatever theme that months box is.

      As for the service itself, er, what they're selling you is anticipation. They're fun, and I've got a bunch of cool models out of them, but I don't think they represent value for money, and my pivot away from 28mm (which they effectively exclusively deal in) plus my desire to rationalise the lead pile has left me models I simply don't need.

      Delete
  8. Great looking fox man!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Burrows and Badgers and AKs. Love it.

    Really mice painting, the fur is bang on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun stuff! Don’t forget to top-up the badger repellent!

    ReplyDelete