Friday 3 January 2020

From StuartL - Challenge Island Safari Journal - 3rd Jan. (76 points)

Greetings fellow C.I.S.T.ers and other Challenge Island visitors.

Well, it seems like the tour suffered from a slight delay, but we are off on our safari of the island! For our first stop, we're heading out from Docherty's Dock to visit Cooke's Crevase. The area around Cooke's Crevase is famous for it's unique geological conditions. Scientists and researchers from around the world visit the area to see the numerous rock formations which are unique to this area of the island. In fact recently a group of anthropologists headed out to the point we are visiting. They thought that they had found evidence that the standing stones were actually a point of worship for some as of yet unknown tribe of large, bipedal carnivores. Fascinating stuff eh? Strangely the anthropologists never returned, it looks like they all left their campsite in a hurry, leaving only some torn up clothing and the remains of a large barbecue. Needless to say they won't be getting their deposit back. Challenge Island Safari rules state that all campsites must be left clean and tidy when you leave, even if you are a scientist and just got wind of some new cultural discovery.
Anyway, here we are at the rock formation. Please tie up your camels nearby and feel free to walk around and take some pictures.


As you can see, the rocks are a naturally occurring formation, with some noticeab... wait, can you hear something? It sounds like guttural laughter and the tromp of heavy feet. Quick, into the bushes over there.


Oh my, it looks like the anthropologists were correct, this is a site of worship. Those ogres don't look very friendly, stay quiet everyone. It looks like they are more interested in the rock formation.


It seems that they are between us and the main road. We may need to take a short detour. Everyone follow me and we'll see if we can get on with our tour and.... NO! Don't take a photo you idiot! Great, now they've seen us. Run!!!

------------------

Since the challenge started, I have had a hard time gaining any traction with my painting. Work, family and friends have all done their best to ensure that my hobby time has been pretty minimal. That all seems to be over and done with for now and I have a few more entries lined up and underway. Fingers crossed I'll have more for you over the weekend.
The Ogres are from GW's plastic range and are painted with a mix of Vallejo and Citadel colours. The skin was done with one of the new GW Contrast paints and it has left the models with very dark patches on their skin. I'm not sure if I will go back over them with usual paints, but I haven't quite got the Contrast stuff down yet. More practice is needed I think. I'm not a big fan of Age of Sigmar, so I figure I'll use the Ogres for Dragon Rampant.
The rocks are bits of cork bark sawed flat and glued down to a base. I built them for the last challenge, but ran out of time before I could get them done. Luckily this year's challenge has given me a good reason to get them finished off. I plan on using them for Dragon Rampant or maybe Saga depending on the scenario.


The rocks are about 6" across, 4" deep and about 2" high, but I realise that there is a fair amount of open space between them. At most they should score me 4 points, plus 30 for the location. The ogres are closer to 40mm minis than 28mm, so for 6 of them I estimate the total at 42 points.
So... 4 plus 30 plus 42 should add 76 points to my tally.


Aha! So that is where Martin is getting all those rocks for you to bang together on Thursdays! Nice work on the standing stones and on the worshipers. I agree on the points - 76 is being added to your tally.

TamsinP

8 comments:

  1. A very useful terrain piece and nice (sic?) ogres.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy your preambles, Stuart. Excellent work on the standing stones and the Ogres are suitably ferocious (I like the effect the Contrast paint did on these guys (kinda tribalistic looking), but I agree it may not be what you want all the time).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stones came out nicely. Inspirational for a vignette that I'm planning of a stonehenge-type of monument for my British celts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice background story, and I like the stone circle - reminded me of the Rollright Stones in Oxfordshire (which, when I checked, actually look quite different!) which are supposed to move by themselves and cannot be counted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good looking stones and ogres ,I'd quite like to do some as well so some helpful pointers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job on these, the stones have come out particularly well.

    ReplyDelete