Thursday 16 January 2020

From DavidB green tide comes to millys millpond 550 points

I have been away for a moment*, but I did have today to complete a small gang of goblins from Games Workshop. I have some ancient grey knights, but they were not quite ready for the photo shoot today. I'm contemplating on how to proceed with them at the moment as I'm still having fun with the contrast paints. These are all older than my children and many are the old lead as they were purchased before GW went with the peciular lead free pewter. For the GW gronards, the Night Goblins were packaged in a mixture of armed types and many are from the marauder range. 
I bought them after I purchased the first Warhammer boxed game that came with goblins and elves in monopose plastic. The game also had card cutouts of Azag the Slaughterer on his wyvern and a high elf on a giffon as well as artillery for both forces.
Friends at Kendall goaded me into purchasing the game as I had a large collection of models, but no armies or wargames. Oddly with art school and projects and parties and girls, I never really got too involved with them other than a few games and never even assembled the bulk of the forces. In fact, Azag and an Orc shamen also on a wyvern were found in the box the goblins came from still in the shrink wrap. Both are partial assembled and waiting for a coat of primer.

30 goblins with bows. They have a standard bearer and musician, but no champion as if this unit gets stuck in close combat....they won't last too long!

The plastic gobbos were a pain to slog through even with the contrast paints, but these fellows were a nice treat.

A small unit of spearmen bulked up with some regular gobbos in black gear to fill the ranks to a healthy 25 gobbo strong unit.

An armored goblin serves as the champion and has a ring and other gear molded on ready for being equiped with magical gear.

28 goblins form a unit equipped with hand weapons and shields. I can form them up in a block of four ranks or add the army general and another hero. This bunch is my favorite as I really love all of thse old sculpts and none are plastic except for the shields.

So much character in these old sculpts and I did have fun drawing and painting the banners for the melee regiments.

I have evolved a bit from what I did paint all those years ago...I believe that I actually used artist acrylic paints and windsor newton oils on these in between palette changes for classwork!**

Four of the classic metal squig hoppers. Although the new AoS gobbos are very nice, I kinda like these fellows a bit more. ***

These are true 80's lead and were cast before Night Goblins were a thing. These lunatics are the reasn to have a Night Goblin force. The melee regiments will hide them in the ranks and unleash these mad wrecking balls on the enemy!****

Skarsnick and his trusty pet Gobbla. He will be the warlord of the Blue Moon Tribe. I have a sizable dwarven force that will take issue with his dwarven beard decorations!

Need the shaman to cast spells and make the fungus beer to keep the troops happy!

The force completed, well a battalon for the orc horde yet to follow. Contrast paints made this a pretty quick job. I did use grns and greys to alter the black robes and flesh tones, but most of the force is staight contrast paints over white primer. A lot of that primer yellowed with age too!
The blue of the Blue Moon Tribe came from Akelian Green which isn't green at all but a sickly blue that seems well suited to goblins and power weapons.
So a whopping horde of 96 gobbos cannonballing into the placid millpond. I'll call them 20mm as they ar not close in stature to a space marine. so 384 points plus 30 more for an aged lot of miniatures dug out of a shoddy old box!


* Military training, I ran 50 miles in the last 4 days. Well actually it was 26 miles, but as I'm old it sure felt like 50!

**Like a proper college student I spent the bulk of my free time doing things other than homework and research I was supposed to be doing for class.

*** of course I like the giant squigs, new squig hoppers, new shaman, and the rest of the AoS gobbo line very much...I'm still resisting!
**** goblin fanatics are always going to destroy the first regiment they hit, often it is the regiment they origionaly sprung from.


a fast bonus... really, really fast and very shooty!

Space Orks definietly bring out the tribal blood in me and GorkaMorka is an old favorite.

This is a true jaloopy. a true Rat Rod. A rat rod is the type of hotrod that my father and his friends would build out of whatever they could find which was usually old model A and T Ford trucks and cars found in fields. They couldn't afford the flashy thunderbirds and corvettes and their fathers did not approve of noisy and dangerous tinkering on family cars. Rat Rods were usually just flat black primer and polished engines. Ironic in that they are now more expensive than the thunderbirds and corvettes that they really wanted back then.

NO TAILGATING!

Since it looked so much like a Rat Rod, it is black and part of my Goff force. (big horns by the radiator) I love all the detail on this ride and had to leave the roof removable not for gameplay, but showing off. I didn't put this rig on a base it came with as it is hard to make engine noises and race it around the table with a base! It's much better this way and adds another 30 points for the day. 20 for the ride and another 10 for the crew. one full orc and a half of a gunner with two goblin riggers....I think I'm done for moment....

Done, for the moment. I should think so. And epic paint bomb and some really fantastic work. I do remember the goblins with wreaking balls. As for the points well I'm not having them being small. Stature is no reason for discrimination, so that is 96 Gobbos at 5 points each = 480, plus another 30 for the supercool truck and another 10 for standards, shields etc plus landing on Millsy's Millpond gives a total of 550, although I am minded to deduct 530 for not properly identifying your post. I suggest a cup of tea now.

14 comments:

  1. Wow! what a post! Some old friends/enemies here - one of my sons still has an army of these ancient goblins, including one unit 120 strong - usually destroyed, as you say, by their own fanatics or squighoppers. Thanks for posting these - a great army!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great, green points bomb David :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, what luvverly old gobbos! I am quite jealous. Brilliant paint job on some well aged goblins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My god David what a paint bomb. Lovely work on this epic horde of gobbos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, some true Oldhammer goodness - brings a tear to my eye (sniff!). I wish/hope Iannick gets to see this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a points bomb! An entire army in one post - Classic Bromley! Those metal goblins are some of the best GW figures from that era, top job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geez! This is amazing, David! I love that you dug so many of these out of your dim, dark past. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Night Goblins and Gorka Morka, that takes me back. Thanks for inserting a Goblin Green base into the mix to jog/jar my memory.
    Great work on all these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking goblin army! I'm still using my artist's paint from art school, 30 years on!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful gobbos and vehicle!

    ReplyDelete