Friday 10 January 2020

From MartinN: Millsy's Millpond - Jackboots and Coal Scuttle Helmet (90 points)

At long last another entry in my challenge log. Since before Christmas Eve I'm plagued by a nasty cold that, while having eased off in between just enough to get in a game with mate ChrisS and meet up with some friends, is restricting my painting output severely. Sneezing and coughing all over half painted miniatures all the time isn't exactly my idea of fun, so progress is slow to say the least.

Whining aside, I've actually managed to paint up my Submission for the "Millsy's Millpond" location on Challenge Island.


With eleven men this squad of jackbooted German Landser is maybe a little on the big side, but an extra rifle man could well come in handy here or there. The figures are from the Wargames Foundry small but excellent range of WW2 Germans sculpted by the Perry twins back in the day.


I'm not exactly sure when the were first released but am rather confident that it must have been well before the change of the millenium. If they also qualify for the pre-1990's bonus? Frankly I don't know. So if one of my fellow challengers has some idea as to their release date I'd be keen to know.


While a tad on the small side when compared with more recent castings I'll happily mix these with the current Warlord Plastics which make up the bulk of my Early War German force. In my humble opinion the sculpts have aged well and the figures were a joy to paint.
As for a background story, well, there's not much to be said. The riflemen were part of a deal for some British Paras I made a while ago while LMG and NCO were purchased recently during the Foundry Christmas sale.


So if my math is correct these fine fellows should net me:
- 55 points for eleven infantry type figures
- 30 points for the completion of the hobby task
- plus whatever our esteemed minion of the day judges hand painted insignia to be worth


Those Heer troopers look simply spiffing Nick. Handpainted helmet insignia? My word! That deserves some bonus points, so I'll round you up to 90 points.

Tamsin

12 comments:

  1. These are staggeringly good! I wish I could paint faces to look as good as these do. And hand painted helmet insignia? I doff my cap to you sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those are very good Martin. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hand painted helmet decals? Madness! Fabulous early war Germans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are fantastic Nick!! I agree the Foundry figures have aged very well. Perhaps I may use them in our campaign.:-)

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Setting the standard as always Nick - great work. They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stonking work Nick! As usual, I love all the details you manage to pack into your figures. I think these were 90s era sculpts (at least that's when I got my original set).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful stuff Martin. They are lovely models, though the range is a bit measly.

    Funnily enough I just snagged some of the very same Foundry Germans on eBay. So much for the Italy campaign next! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just use them as rear echelon troops then ;-) And yes, the range is rather limited, but has some gems amongst it. For example I don’t know of any other MG34 on AA-mount in 28mm...

      Delete
  8. Really nice brushwork, especially the faces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work as ever, I'm pretty sure these were around in the 1990s

    ReplyDelete