Friday 10 January 2020

From PeteF: Heer Comes The Boom - Panzer IV (22 points)


This is the second Blitzkreig vehicle for Operation Sealion - a German Grey Panzer IV.


This is part of Warlord Games Blitzkreig Germans box - the tank had a resin body and turret with various metal bits to stick on. The resin tracks were a little warped and needed some coaxing to fit into the assembly. I thought the tank commander had an eye problem until I figured out he was wearing a monocle. His folded arm pose makes him look like he's wearing a straight jacket - although I like his being shouty.


The resin was easy to drill for magnets so that the turret can freely rotate, and yet stay put, if the rules call for it pointing in the direction it fires.


I'm not sure I love the freehanded numbers - an airbrush and tiny stencil will be in my future if I end up doing more Bolt Action and/or Chain of Command - these ones might get painted over if the tank is transferred to a new theatre. I attempted a little bit of weathering and chipping - enough for the table top.


It feels good to be getting so close to completing everything that came in the box.  I think the top half of a 28mm figure might be worth 2 points so 22 points for the tank and commander? Now onto some island exploration - something rocky I think.




Cor, blimey, guv'nor, that's a gorgeous little tank! That's got to be worth, let's see, 22 points with the (just about showing) commander.

Tamsin

16 comments:

  1. I've always liked the short-barreled Panzer IV and this one is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine work! Actually I quite like the hand painted turret numbers as often they didn't look as neat in the field as we wargamers (and military modelers for that matter) tend to portray. So it adds quite a bit of flavor in my books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that feedback - I can leave the numbers without feeling bad about them!

      Delete
  3. Great work Pete - I second Nick's feedback on the turret numbers. Plus, I have a superstition that tanks with hand-painted turret numbers perform better on the gaming table and have luckier dice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK - that confirms it. The numbers (and the luck they will inevitably bring) stay.

      Delete
  4. Great job on a classic tank that isnt overpowering on the table

    +1 for the hand painted numbers - plus I've never liked the way decals sit funny over all those great details anyway

    Love the Commander - he looks like Colonel Kurt Von Strohm from the TV show 'Allo 'Allo!. Maybe he is taling a ride in Lieutenant Gruber's Little Tank :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes - good moaning. Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember having enjoyed Secret Army too.

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking panzer! I'm a fan of the handpainted numbers and the diminutive commander!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking mark iv. I like the numbers, they look really good. That commander makes me laugh, not quite sure how he got himself into the tank in the first place but I think it will some lube and a pry bar to get him unstuck..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It would take extreme pressure in the hull to blow him out of the turret. Warlord could most definitely go with skinnier commanders.

      Delete
  7. Nice work, the hand painted numbers look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the work you did on the early Panzer IV

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Panzer and commander!

    ReplyDelete