Thursday 13 February 2020

From Barks: 15mm modern Australians (54 points)

I have a very soft spot for Australian infantry, and Eureka released these lovely 15mm modern diggers a few years ago. I snapped some up, whereupon they mocked me as I held off painting them because I wasn't sure I could do them justice.

They are wonderfully detailed and posed Alan Marsh sculpts. They've got the latest kit with all the add-ons. If I must nitpick, there should be more eye protection and night vision attachments. I selected a variety of figures to represent a sniper team and other observers with a protection detail, to fit with the RSTA theme here at Bromley's Butte.


Commander and signaller

F89 Light Support Weapons

F88 with underslung 40mm

F88

Sniper with SR-25



I've painted them in DPDU, the desert version of the iconic jellybean Auscam. They're unusual in that their uniform, webbing, body armour and helmet covers all match! DPDU was seen in Iraq and Afghanistan from ~2003-2013ish, but has been superseded by other designs. I'm not sure if the inbuilt-kneepad uniform even comes in DPDU.

Afghanistan 2008. Source
Moderns can be challenging for the painter to show different details on the figure, and to get that tabletop presence- particularly in 15mm. I'm pretty happy with these.

I think they could be used as Irish or Austrians with the Steyr AUG.


12x 15mm figures  24
Bromley's Butte, 30 points

From DaveD - Barks that's another fine effort, very nice!

18 comments:

  1. Great work Barks - modern cammo patterns are a real challenge. I would say you have definitely done these figures justice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking 15s Barks. These would also be ideal for Fran's Fijord, but maybe you have some OPFOR coming up for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking modern day diggers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on these Barks. Are they stiller diggers if they’re not flea bitten and stuck in Gallipoli?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great figures, gotta love the dogs with the SR-25 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Due to those big helmets at first glance these looked like Star Wars rebel troops to me! Lol! That said your painting is superb!

    ReplyDelete