Monday 9 March 2020

From SanderS: "Throwing Rocks at Cook's Crevasse." (40 pts)

Hoi,

Geology? Seriously? What do I know of rocks? I really had to think hard about this location and it's demands for an entry. But the answer was lying on my paintdesk staring me in the eyes for quite some time, dare I say it: years?


Some time ago I bought some AoS objectives or endless spells and amongst them was a floating rock bound to the ground with chains. The reason I hadn't painted it yet was twofold: firstly I didn't know how to base it, not having any decently sized bases. Secondly I was unsure of how to use it. In the end it was Awdry's Attol that brought the solution: base it on a CD and therefore use it in regular games not for Heroquest where a different base size was needed.

Pre-painting WIP shot.


Painted the thing looks like this:




At first I wanted it to be purple, it's evidently Choatic in nature and I think purple suits Chaos magic very well. That said I have an idea of playing Mordheim again in one form or another and really would like to involve loads of Skaven. So in the end I chose to go with Green Warpstone. What would any Skaven Grey-seer not give for such a large piece of clearly highly magically charged Warpstone? So mister Cook let's have your analyis on Warpstone eh?

The base is fairly simple and devoid of race specific items so I could use it in quite a lot of different scenario's. I did add some skulls to one of the small offering stones, because every self respecting sorcerer needs some skulls right?

Also on my table were some pebbles from the garden. These I had gathered to use as Dwarven Oathstones when Warhammer was still Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Now I had the perfect opportunity to paint one up. So I started making an oathstone with some left over bits.


Painted the Oathstone looks like this:





The Dwarf Lord is only there for scale purposes and because he looks good. I wanted this Oathstone to look as if it's a long time abandoned and forgotten. Perhaps it's somewhere high up in the Ramtop Mountains... ergh... World Edge Mountains of course where the Dwarfs have been driven off their ancestral lands by Greenskins or Skaven and this Stone has stood there long since abandoned, the bronze images and offerings gathering a layer of verdisgris and the Stone itself a thick layer of moss and creeper plants.


These two will be very nice additions to my battlefields as soon as I get to playing any reall game again.
As to the points, well I guess they qualify for the 30 points bonus from the Crevasse but I have no real idea what to award for the stones themselves. Might I suggest counting them as 28mm foot figures so 5 points each for a total of 40 allround? I'd be happy with that.

Today's Challenge Tune is a funny story: for the Heroquest Schoolclub I always try yo find some suitable ambience music and while browsing Youtube for some Viking themed music (like Dannheim or Skald) I stumbled along this hilariously bad BAD "Dwarven Metal" for lack of a better word. To my great amazement 2 of the kids from my club actually knew the song and we 3 boisterously sang along the refrain that will stick in your head for ages to come if you're not careful.




Oh well I am off to painting Camels for Humpday!

---------
By Paul: a nice bit of thematic terrain building Sander- 40 points it is!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, I am just happy to have them finished and ready for play!

      Delete
  2. Super looking rocks!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Believe the musical warning, but .... What an awesomely awful song and I do fear that “Diggity Diggity Hole” is in my head for the rest of the day. 🎈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad but true, I am so sorry for ruining your day dear Lady...

      Delete
  4. @Paul: thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work! I like the chained rock.

    ReplyDelete