Monday 9 March 2020

From MilesR: 15mm Field Entrenchments (50 points)

 I'm running a campaign at the club and the first tabletop encounter will be played out tomorrow (Monday March 9th) and I need some field fortification.  Rather than just make the 12 inches that is required, I made more (66 inches) as one can never have to many field fortifications and these are designed to be used for just about any era.
 Each section is 2 inches wide and I've put in enough pieces to give a good deal of fort design flexibility.
I threw in a redoubt as an after thought but am very happy with it.  Here you see a photo of it in it's natural state - teaming with Russian guns.
The build process was easy but a bit tedious as I built each of the retaining walls and cut some EPS foam for the earth works.
 I then glued them together - the pieces are backed by a very thin sheet of polystyrene to ensure they're durable.  You can see the beginnings of the redoubt - it was planned and measured out to fit 4 artillery stands
 But I am an idiot and measured poorly - at least three stands fir nicely!
 I filled in the gaps on the corners with a little sculptamold and then covered the embankments with my goto ground texture - pre-mixed flexible tile grout, which conveniently comes in an earth shade
The final step was to base paint the planks and dirt, add a black wash and then dry brush a light tan.

The campaign I'm running is a super hypothetical invasion of the US by Napoleon and tomorrow battle has a combined US and British force of 4 divisions attacj Davout's III Corp with 2 divisions.  Soult's II Corps is nearby and will be marching to reinforce III Crops - will they make if in time?  Tune in next week to find out.

As for points, this is definitely terrain and also definitely does not fill a full 216 cubic inch.  I think there's less than 100 cubic inches.  I shall leave the pointalogical machinations up to the minion that adjudicates this entry.

-------
By Paul: 
Sounds like a great campaign, and thats quite an impressive scratch built fortress! 
Noting the handiwork and modelling effort overall, I am awarding 50 points for this entry.
I hope the campaign goes well!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff Miles! Fieldworks are always useful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to have a pile of earthworks, excellent finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Miles - you are correct, you can never have enough field works :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice field works Miles. Good luck with your campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all for the super hypothetical. The more I think about it NA could have done much worse than be conquered by the French. The coffee, wine and pastries alone would have made it worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some awesome terrain Miles!

    ReplyDelete