Monday 9 March 2020

From DaveD - Mk1 “Ronson” - O’Grady’s Gulch - 38 points

Today’s submission takes me to my challenge target with a couple of weeks to spare. Huzzah! And what better way to do that than by doing something for a friend. This is for JamesM to use in our WW2 games to show a knocked out Sherman tank. They were of course known for catching fire - earning them the nicknames of “Ronsons’ after the ligher, or the more macabre “Tommy Cookers’.

I have a few of the 15mm Battlefront kits left to build that are surplus to main requirements. As such I am going to turn more of these into markers. I have used the 5mm Flashing LED liberated from a tea light candle in the commanders hatch . This is then wired and soldered  to a DIP switch connected to a two cell 3v LR44 battery case that’s been added under the hull . This gives access to the switch and cell changes.




Batteries and switch . All needs a bit of tidy up in the Mk2 , but I know what I want to do





This will be a MK1 version , which was just about solving the problems . The MK2 will be neater in terms of connections , access etc. Then Mk3 should see lights in the crew hatch area too.

I have left the vehicle pretty clean so James can match it in with his existing stuff and also add any British specific markings . 

Points 
15mm vehicle - 8 points
X marks spot - 30 points 

Right - let’s see what else is on the table , and perhaps a pop over to Hawkins Hill 

------
By Paul:
What a great contraption! I'm sure James will be thrilled to add this to his outstanding Normandy collection. I have been watching people mess about with these tea lights for years thinking I should also do something like this. Sign me up for a couple of Mk IIIs ! :-)

13 comments: