Wednesday 27 January 2021

From LeeH - The Orcs Pit - Stallu Redcap, Orc Hero (25)

I bought this model three years ago and its been looking at me accusingly ever since. At first glance, he looked quite simple to paint but as I worked on him I found all sorts of little details that demanded to be painted, such as a tiny gold ring in his lip or the various charms and amulets hanging from his belt. I went for a deliberately dark theme as it seems appropriate and matches the dark look in his eyes... I certainly wouldn't want to encounter him while exploring the ruins of Felstad. 


The model is mostly cast in a yellow resin that must be unique to this manufacturer. The axe hand and shield hand (and their contents) are cast in metal. Combining the parts was trickier than I had hoped, not because they were ill-fitting but simply because they needed to be pinned and supported while the Epoxy I used to join the set. Then both of the legs broke at the ankle! This required yet more pinning and repair work before I could even prime the figure. The sculpting is wonderful, but the choice of material lets this particular figure down. 



The model is by Oakbound Studio and stands 35mm tall, making this guy is very imposing next to a 28mm figure. He will make a significant presence on the games table and the implied threat in his expression will leave little to the imagination for any that face him!  

(Scoring: 1x28mm figure + CoC Bonus = 25 points)

-----

He is a fiesty looking character - would make an excellent addition to any boarding party actually! I looks partial to a tot of rum also. I understand that a Frostgrave expansion later this year will include Giant-born soldier options for your retinue - maybe I need one of these for my Orc Witch force!

Cap'n Wednesday

7 comments:

  1. "Pinning the ankles" is not a super-fun part of the hobby...way to stick with it! The finished product is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great perseverance on this brute Lee. Excellent paint work too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great painting, but the model sounds like it was a real chore to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, sounds like grief! 3 years, very rapid turnaround in my book!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another cool looking figure Lee, rocking these Chambers mate 👌
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete