Sunday 7 February 2021

From Curt: Capering Chaos Creatures of 'Bruegel-Bosch' (80 Points)

When I was a kid, my mom was an active member of our local library board, so we always had lots of books around the house. In addition to the military history and craft books, I always enjoyed anything dealing with art, especially books focusing on the Renaissance period.  While I liked the Italian masters well enough, I was particularly fascinated by the painters from the Low Countries. Pieter Bruegel and Hieronymus Bosch were two of my favourites, as their work was often quite bizarre, bordering on the grotesque. Here are a few samples:

Bosch's 'Garden of Earthly Delights'


Bruegel's 'Seven Deadly Sins'


With all this in mind, a few years ago I created a fictional setting that I call 'Bruegel-Bosch', a canal town in a composite Renaissance-esque Germany/Low Countries environment. I'm slowly populating it with all things strange and odd. In a way, it was my response to the loss of Warhammer Fantasy's wonderful 'Old World'. 

First I started with some of the brilliant Renaissance fantasy figures offered by Lead Adventure (sculpted by the talented Ratnik). Below is a trio of examples (not for scoring):


So, when I came across Eureka' Fantasy range I knew I had to get them as they fit in perfectly as denizens of 'Bruegel-Bosch'. 


They are so terrifically odd and macabre, with many being thematically adjacent to characters in Bosch and Bruegel's work.




I mean there's a bird-faced creature with a bucket on his head, his tentacles holding a huge honkin' key. WTF? I don't have a clue what it's all supposed to mean (much like Bruegel and Bosch's work), but it really creeps me out, which I find super fun.  :)


There are 12 figures in this group and I still have around 16 still to do, each one a delightful study in the strange, macabre and the grotesque.




One of the crones in this group will serve as my price for a teleport to The Tomb. That being the case, this group will give me 80 points (a base of 60 points and 20 for the Sorceress bonus). It will also give me my 8th Point for our Squirrel Challenge. Eaaxcellent.

- Curt

39 comments:

  1. oh dear, my parents had some of these books at ho e too, but more out of a sense of pretending to appear semi-intellectual than proper interest. Also I had the chance to see some of the works from Bosch in real life and they scare the living daylights out of me still. Not necessarily due to their subject but due to the (in)sanity of the mind they sprang from. I like Breughel better. His canvas displayi g depictions of Dutch proverbs is a favorite of mine https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlandish_Proverbs.

    Anyway I digress: your painting as usual is top notch, can't wait to see the remaining figures in the lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might enjoy this entry, Sander. Yes, as I've grown older, I've come to enjoy their other works, especially Bruegel's 'seasons' series of paintings ('hunters in the snow' is my favourite).

      Delete
  2. These are properly brilliant. These painters were always the highlight of high school art class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. I absolutely loved these as a kid and enjoyed the art classes where we tried to puzzle out what the figures all represented.

      Delete
  3. Amazing collection of weird creatures, very nicely conceived, Curt. I like the concept of your trippy town, but certainly could not live with Boschian nightmares on my shelves. Next you'll be setting it in John Martin landscapes, with Richard Dadd's fairyland on the outskirts. There's a fair number of mad artists to work with!
    Another brilliant set of figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I love Richard Dadd! It would be great to do up some figures based off of his paintings. Trippy!

      Thanks Noel. :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful use of these Eureka sculpts. I’d love to see them in a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. I hope to put them into sabot bases for the future version of Warhammer Fantasy (fingers crossed).

      Delete
  5. These are just fantastic sculpts, and the painting is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a properly weird collection of..... ummm..... weirdos? I particularly like the nose holder prop thingy - disturbing stuff! Lovely colour work, really suits them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I like him too. He's helping 'Olaf the Unsteady' make this advance :)

      Delete
  7. Disturbingly Well done.
    BruceR

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastically disturbing, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff Curt -- simultaneously cute and creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what I figure as well. Thanks Simon.

      Delete
  10. Great stuff but amusing and creepy! I always wonder if these works were the results of some truly potent food poisoning

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastical, grotesque and bloody brilliant!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain! I wonder if you will be working on of set similar to this sometime. :)

      Delete
  12. Superbly creepy done in a grotesque amazement! Excellent!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work Curt - disturbing, but in a "refreshing" way, as compared to the GW approach of "here comes something with 5,000 skullz" (which has its own appeal, too).

    I think many of us out there mourn the loss of GW's Old World - what a cool project in response!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, let's hope I can put them on the table with an updated version of Warhammer Fantasy.

      Delete
  14. Those are just awesome. Well done dude.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that was one hell of a weird post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not sure what I just saw, but they were very well painted. Every one of those sculpts is both amazing and strange at the same time and you've done a great job at bringing out the character of each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. outstanding Curt, really like those!

    cheers
    matt

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super collection of the wierd and wonderful, great figures, great painting 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally amazeballs! Love it!
    You must have some patience to operate that Eureka miniatures website. I get a case of the vomits after only a few seconds of look at it.
    Fantastic work...as always.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete