Monday 15 February 2021

From Mike W, - 28mm More Undead Egyptian Archers (100 Points)

After my last post on this army, I was stumped trying to find a source for additional shields to fit out the few skeleton figures that I had in my spares box. Thanks to everyone for your ideas and offers!

Newly rediscovered Warhammer Tomb King Boxes! 😀
 

One of the things I like best about this annual challenge is that it forces me to go through my metal and plastic mountain and find models to paint. To that end, I took a trip into my loft on Friday night to check what  could find...

Completed unit of archers, add that to the 10 I did a couple weeks ago,
then a sizeable missile force.

... Tucked away in the dark recesses was a storage box that I'd forgotten about, when opened it turned out to be an Aladdin's cave of Warhammer boxed sets and unpainted figures!

Another view of the completed Archer Unit
Specific to this army there were unopened boxes of unopened Tomb Kings infantry, a box of three chariots plus some frames of the original Mk1 skeletons and three Mummies from one of the Games Workshop boxed games (HeroQuest I think). 

A close-up of five of the boney blighters

As an aside, there were also a bot of unmade Lizardmen, a pile of undercoated Lizardmen and a box literally crammed full of undercoated Orcs. Hopefully I will work through these in the remaining weeks of the challenge as well as getting some more historical figures completed as well. 

Five more skeleton archers

Well as a starter for 100, I've made-up a new unit of 20 Skeleton Archers, outfitted and dressed as per the unit I did early in this challenge and added a scratch built musician and a standard bearer / champion. I made the drum from two round shields glued together and a paper strap, for no other reason than I could and it will differentiate the Archer units from the spearmen units with their musicians carrying a horn.

I've also started work on the Chariots and some spearmen - but that is for another post.

The third set of five skeletons in the unit

Once the figures were built and undercoated in a light earth colour I gave them a wash of Army Painter Dark Tone before dry-brushing with Screaming Skull. I maintained the light / dark blue colour theme by doing bows and quivers in light blue and straps and details in dark blue, then washed in a diluted blue ink.

The unit's Command section, Big Bass Drummer to keep up the rhythm of firing off arrows and a Standard Bearer come Champion.

All trim was done in gold and washed with dark tone ink. Everything was then covered with a matt varnish

Bases were painted with a light sand paint and then a fine sand, I held off on the electrostatic grass at this stage as I'm running short and awaiting a new delivery, plus not every figure in the army needs the tufts to maintain the look and feel.


POINTS

20 x 28mm Figures @ 5 Pts ea = 100 Points

6 comments:

  1. Loving these Mike. The lapis lazuli bows and trim are excellent and the Sally Ann band bass drum rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding that lot must have been a fantastic feeling. These skeletons look fantastic, the bright blue really pops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But how many skullz are there?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking skeletons, nice to see the loft giving up treasure!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete