Monday 27 December 2021

From DaveS - Hundred Years War French (180 pts)

One of my major discoveries last year was the Basic Impetus 2 ruleset.  It's simple, it covers a wide range of time periods, and most usefully to me, it has fixed army lists.

As a painter who leaps between projects on a whim, having fixed lists lets me "finish" an army.  I find that this is really helpful when it comes to keeping me on track with projects, so that things that get finished.  This worked over the summer, when I managed to stick with, and finish, an Early Imperial Roman Army.

Continuing the theme of "finishable" armies for this system, several of my planned projects for the Challenge are for the system.  The first of these is my Agincourt/Hundred Years War French army.

I have now finished the first units of these, all made using Perry Plastic miniatures, a mix of their plastic Knights, Frnech Army and English Army Agincourt boxes, as well as bits from the European Mercenaries and Light cavalry boxes.

So far, I have completed;
2 Bases of Crossbow Skirmishers




2 Bases of Peasant Levy (Heavy Infantry but low quality)




And a Base of Light Crossbow Cavalry (and after the last time I posted Cavalry and Tamsin told me off for making them all the same colour, I've tried for some variety in the horses)





In total, this makes 28x28mm Infantry and 4x28mm Cavalry for, what I believe is 180pts.
Next up will be the rest of the infantry, and the flower of French Nobility, the heavy cavalry.

______________________

Having just enjoyed Ridley Scott's 'The Last Duel', it's wonderful to see your HYW French grace the small screen, Dave.

I've never tried Impetus, but I do like its vignette style basing system. Your units look terrific - such clean brushwork. I have to say that Tamsin's 'arched eyebrow' paid off as your cavalry look varied and excellent as well. :)

Now, with there be a Jean de Carrouges and a Jacques Le Gris in amongst your heavy cavalry?

- Curt



12 comments:

  1. Very cool Dave - I haven't played Impetus but many hereabouts like them. Always liked HYW as a period and don't this kind of temptation... especially now that I am being bullied about doing some Napoleonics! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Dave. The HYW is a period is fascinating, and totally intimidating. I am always impressed at those who tackle it - you are braver than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is wise to listen Tamsin, otherwise you might be in the wrong end of the whip. Or crayons. The infartry looks good, but I really like the cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking Medieval troops Dave, super start to the Challenge
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I particularly like the horses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking work Dave. Really nicely based and a good solid start to your French army! Now time for some heraldry 😉

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking HYW French, used to like impetus plus the basing works well if you feel like playing To the Strongest!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like lots of peasants!

    ReplyDelete