Monday 27 December 2021

From TeemuL: Line infantry variations (77 points)

I had a pleasant Christmas Eve and Day (in Finland the Eve is more important, Santa comes during the evening and everyone relaxes, so the Christmas Day is very peaceful - 25 centimeters of snow caused some outdoor exercises and our son needed some assistance with the new Lego kit, but otherwise I had quite a lot of time to paint) and here is my second post. No planets this time (where did the Napoleonic planet disappeared, which was in the early map?), but 2 Squirrels should do the trick.


First two bases of Austrian Infantry from Italeri. They should have white uniforms, but I have taken rather grey approach - historically inappropriate, I guess, but I'm just getting into historicals, so don't crucify me yet, you would lose a prospect, if you'd do that!


I haven't played any Napoleonic games (yet), let's say I'm practising to paint smaller miniatures and learning multibasing and so on. There's not much availability on these models here in Finland, so when I noticed couple of boxes in a local store, I just took what was available. I painted some of these earlier in the previous Challenge or in Vaccination Challenge, so they might look familiar. I have only two more bases to paint, so I might paint them during this Challenge.

They are painted mostly with Contrast paints using the box cover as a guide. There are 4 models on a 40x40 mdf base, which has a small magnet hole with a magnet. GW texture paint to hide the plastic bases, not perfect.

Wrong end to be...
 

The second batch is for a new game, Sludge Wargame. The rules were published this year and one guy in our small group got interested in it and soon the rest of us were making orders to Perry.

For a while we have been more and more frustrated to the GW's rule cycle, where new set of rules comes out before you get properly in to the old ones (ignoring Blood Bowl LotR/MESBG here), not to mention battletomes, codexes, campaign books etc, so we were easy prey for something new. It could have been anything, but the stars were aligned and we all got interested in this.

This is probably a new game to lots of, so please google for more information. It is a skirmish size game with very flexible and generic units in a World Gone Bad. Basic instructions are to grab some Perry sprues and build some cool looking units, and that's what I did.

Foot Knights combined with ACW Zoauves. This is cannon fodder with firearms, they have a hard hat and body armour for protection, but since they are fighting in mud, they want to stay otherwise light. That is my backstory anyway.

Yellow and brown remind them of the good old times, golden crops and fertile earth. I took the extra pain to paint striped pants. So yes, there are varied shades of browns and yellow with dirty looking metals and some dark green here and there. I have more of these to paint, so I'll give some more background in the future, may be some thoughts of the actual game as well, if we get that far...

8 20mm miniatures, 32 points

9 25mm miniatures, 45 points

77 points, two Squirrels

_______________________________________

Sorry Teemu, The Death Star took out Marengo in early December with the re-edit. :)

'Sludge'. Hmm, this sounds very similar to the 'Turnip 28' rules I've recently seen here, I wonder if they are the same? Anyway, I really like how these composite figures turned out. Is this basing what is recommended in the rules - it looks great. Anyway, I look forward to seeing more 'Sludge' units from you Teemu.

- Curt

28 comments:

  1. The Sludge and Turnip are similar, but different. If I have understood correctly, they were developed independently, but have lots of similarities. The basing is recommended like that in the rules, 3 line infantry models on 40mm round base. It is possible use 4 models on 40mm or 50mm square base, if you happen to have them or something else. The basing is quite free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great contribution Teemu, I do love those Austrians!

    Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander, let's see if I can paint more of them.

      Delete
  3. Nice brush work Teemu!
    Just curious, what colour primer did you use for the contrast paints? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have used Corax White and Wraithbone, whichever is available.

      Delete
  4. Nice work Teemu. Love the Kaiserlichs. The Sludge guys are wacky, but the end effect is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rocking through the figures mate, keep em coming 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will! This year I don't have major home improvement or moving projects. :)

      Delete
  6. That is some really clever kit bashing- well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, painting really does wonders on plastic pieces!

      Delete
  7. Nice Austrians and great kit bashed Perry's!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Teemu! Always great to see Austrians, no matter where they land on the white-part of the cloth spectrum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. White is always tricky, do you want brownish white, grayish white, bluish white, yellowish white... :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you Ray! I visioned them to look better, but my skills failed me...

      Delete
  10. I quite like the sludge guys not just for the dirty colors but also because I'm reminded of the first conversions I did with airfix multipose. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The conversions are rude, but they work! :)

      Delete
  11. White is subjective… you never know one’s laundry habits haha! Your skills are top-notch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice Naps and sludgers, Teemu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. One of the blessings (or curses) of the Challenge. :D

      Delete