Monday 27 December 2021

From KerryT: Project P (120 Points)

Morning/Afternoon & Evening all

First of all a big thank you to Curt for letting me in for my first ever challenge. The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge to date has been something mysterious that I'd read about and viewed from afar in previous years and am now really pleased this year to be able to take part this year and will give it my best effort. I feel fortunate to have sneaked in having registered quite late after listening to Curt talk to the Yarkshire Gamer on a podcast while painting.

I'm not so sure about hunkering down in the cold and getting the paints out because there's nothing else to do because I'm not in the top half of the world. In real life I'm a  Welshman who moved to New Zealand in 1999 ( transporting 7 toolboxes of my much loved 15mm Napoleonics in the shipping container I would add!). Its actually Summer so a bit hot here you know, 32 degrees the other day so the Vallejo's a bit lumpy at times.

My wargaming or painting habit was once described as "all over the place" - which I actually decided to take as a compliment- OK I'm a butterfly, with a short attention spa... - Oh Look Shiny...-  you get my drift? 

In reality I think of myself as die hard Napoleonic - but not in a Bruce Willis sort of way though - I'd never shoot anybody for instance, but then I suppose I'd try my hardest to knock them out with a double six though. In the past few years I've wandered about quite a bit and well sort of got a little bit distracted and as a consequence have a little bit of not quite everything. I'm at the stage now where I'm finally managing to collect figures for those periods that took my breath away when as a young man I first opened those early editions of Miniature Wargames. The only problem is that there are so many!

Consequently my paintbrush might best be described as ill- disciplined  - in that it wanders from one period to another, though at least that does at least keep me productive. That is what I suppose sums up my approach to the current challenge or my Project P - I figured as this is the 12th Challenge as a newbie I need to play catch up and produce 12 units. 

I was painting some ECW Pike at the time so P for project, P for Pike and perhaps I was a little Pis.... at the time so painting 12 units with a connection to the letter P was dare I say err Procreated! ( Apologies - I'll get my coat)

So my project P - which hopefully will allow me to wander through my various projects and periods will be an attempt to produce at least a total of 1000 points worth of figures with at least 25 points of figures or at best a wargames unit in each of the following categories

1 Pike & Shotte

2 Parliamentarian

3 Pointy - As in Pointy Sticks

4 Peasants

5 Pious

6 Personality

7 Posh ( as in self important or gaudy posers)

8 Polished

9 Prancing (as on the back of an horse)

10 Pagan

11 Perry Miniatures

12 Plastic

Man, my indecision is killing me, I've been trying to keep my  options open (Maybe I should have gone for Pandours, Prussian and Palestine WW1) but I hope I've been sneaky enough to leave myself plenty of options for roaming

So here we go

My first offering - my Peasants - these are Ratnik 18th Century Civilians - I hope this works ok - Thank you Tamsin for your instruction, I hope I have it right!









I must say these are lovely figures to paint, I first came across Ratnik's figures on the LAF forum from the Bruegelberg range of Lead Adventure Miniatures and just bought them on impulse

Just a few close ups if that's allowed?






If I'm correct that should give me  20 & 5 points for 20 x 28mm figures
Does that mean 25 Squirrel points and a Sarah's Choice Bonus?

Where do I want to go?
I don't know, I'll just hop on the bus, open a beer, probably fall asleep and wake up with a jolt wherever you send me or when the conductor tells me its the end of the line - I'm a wanderer after all

Many Thanks

Kerry T - Valleyboy


____________________________________________________

First, welcome to the Painting Challenge, Kerry!

I like your 'P' theme (steady lads) and look forward to seeing how it develops over the next few months. I too very much enjoy Ratnik's sculpts, and will paint almost anything he comes up with - his stuff is so characterful, as one can clearly see from these wonderful vignettes you've constructed. You have wonderfully smooth brushwork Kerry, and I really like your choice of colours. Terrific stuff.

You indeed have more than enough figures for a ticket on Sarah's Star Yacht (including the 20 point bonus). Now you can chart a course to any planet on the outer rim or plunge into the Great Abyssal. I'll leave the Squirrel points to Stuart as he will be minding them this year (thanks again Stuart!). 

- Curt


18 comments:

  1. Beautiful 1st entry, good luck in the challenge. Hope the weather doesn't get in the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking bunch of peasants!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful looking peasantry Kerry, I’ll be checking them out shortly. Your project list definitely came from Sesame Street, it had me chuckling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are very snazzy. Just the thing for any mid-1700s table, though hopefully any sensible civilian would have cleared off before they clash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo I wish I had not seen those. They look great and will add to your table. Well done

    BruceR

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your disciplined and still open minded Painting Project P Plan and I do like your painting skills as well, well done and welcome to the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the welcome and the positive vibes. I have another day off before I get back to work and have made a start on some more Ps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great painting and really enjoyed seeing such interesting models.

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the Challenge Kerry. A great start as well. I gotta get me some of those Ratnik civvies, they are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic first entry to the Challenge! Welcome aboard

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to the Challenge Kerry, firstly you have excellent taste when it comes to your choice of Podcasts 😄
    Some lovely looking figures to get started with, looking forward to seeing more of your output 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cracking first entry, the highlighting really makes them pop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look like fantastic figures and you painting is wonderful. A good idea to keep to a "P" theme to help you stay somewhat on track.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delightful figures and I quite like your ‘P’ theme!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome to the Challenge, Kerry! Very nice peasants! :)

    ps - glad you found my posting guide helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome aboard, Kerry! Those are wonderful, don’t skimp on the close-ups.

    ReplyDelete