Monday 27 December 2021

From SamuliS: Implements of Carnage (79 points)

With a nice Christmas behind me I managed to get back to painting on Sunday with bit of an unplanned little project. We had a Gaslands game planned for this Monday and I wasn't able to find my ready vehicles after our move, so I decided to quickly paint up a few new ones that I had mostly built previously. One Idris team with a Monster truck and two Buggies with Nitrous kits and a Rutherford team with some heavier firepower and a Performance Car with improved off-road capabilities in the form of tracks.


Mostly pretty small modifications with just wheel (and track) changes and some added weaponry. The monster truck had a ram built in front to ensure smaller cars won't cause issues on the racetrack. I threw on a soldier on the back of the pickup truck to remind me of the Grenades that the car is carrying. The mini is some 20mm flexible plastic moderns mini I had picked up from some toy store.


Painting was a breeze with just a rattle can primer in the main colour followed by picking out some details and then applying rust in a few different colours using a sponge. Then a wash to highlight some panel lines and they were ready for mayhem. Decals were from old 40K chaos sheet from the 90s I think. Text from a custom decal sheet I had printed for my Alpha Legion project some years back. Unfortunately I had some silvering especially on the text decals that I just couldn't completely hide. Might have to go back and try to paint over the edge areas to blend it in better.


The first outing wasn't too successful as I came dead last and only the Idris team got to race. But boy was it fun with plenty of crashes and exploding vehicles going around. I've never had my whole team get wrecked during turn 1 before which was even more astounding considering that we all started in different corners of the map. The Monster truck ended up getting destroyed two more times after respawning twice and taking out several other vehicles on the way. 


Anyways 5 vehicles in what I think is closest to 20mm scale as well as one passenger firing his weapon. By my count it should be 75 points for the vehicles and four more points for the passenger to net me another 79 points.

______________________________

Nothing like an impeding game to get one's creative juices flowing. Well done on getting these great looking vehicles on the starting line Samuli! 'Gaslands' is wonderful as it serves up that wonderful blend of absolute mayhem, combined with a thin veneer of tactical acuity. Such fun.  

- Curt


13 comments:

  1. Great looking vehicles Samuli. The one with the big snow plow would look perfectly at home on the streets of Regina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Samuli. That car with the treads would be fabulous out here in Northern Ontario!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see some Gaslands cars, which are not fully covered in mud and rust. Simple and fast paint jobs, but they do look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I generally have liked to keep my cars a bit tidier. They are in use after all so I'd expect them to be at least somewhat maintained instead of falling apart due to rusting through

      Delete
  4. Some cool looking vehicles there mate, top job 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid looking bunch of vehicles!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s great, I’d love to do some myself some day.

    ReplyDelete