Monday 27 December 2021

From FrederickC: Ruined Hamlet, Stone Bridge, and early WW2 Polish Army (177 points)

This is my first post of my first year of participation in the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, so bear with me if I screw a few things up. My submission for the first week of painting consists of a mix of figures, vehicles and terrain, mostly in 28mm scale to be used with Bolt Action. Other than the armoured car, which is from Ace Models, the rest are from Warlord Games.

 

I started painting an early WW2 Polish army two years ago, and wanted to flesh it out with a few more support weapons and vehicles. For this submission I have completed a Polish 10th Motorized Brigade Squad, a Polish Army Medium Mortar Team, a boxed set of Polish Army Marksman, Anti-Tank Rifle, and Light Mortar teams, and a Polish Vickers E 6 ton Tank, all from Warlord Games. All are 28mm or 1/56 scale with the foot figures cast in metal and the Vickers 6-ton cast in resin. The armoured car is actually a 1/48 scale plastic model of a Soviet FAI-M light armoured car by Ace Models, a company out of Kyiv, that I picked up from a local hobby store. I painted it in Polish camouflage to stand in as a proxy for a Samochód pancerny wz. 34 light armoured car.

Polish 10th Motorized Brigade Squad

Polish Army Medium Mortar Team


Polish Army Anti-Tank, Light Mortar, and Marksman Teams

Polish Vickers E 6-ton Tank and FAI-M Armoured Car

The Ruined Hamlet consists of four models of a Ruined Farmhouse in hard plastic from Warlord Games that I bought during a sale of 'four for the price of three'. They can now be purchased individually, or as a 'Ruined Hamlet' box of three. Each set consists of a two story building plus a one story shed. While they are quite generic for 'somewhere in Europe during the last 400 years', they will work best for either WW1 or WW2. Assembly can provide some variation as to how the walls fit together, but I would say that there is definitely a 'preferred way'  that results in a 'best fit'. Once all the buildings and rubble piles were glued together, I mounted them on bases made from some pieces of scrap 3mm Masonite board onto which I had scored lines to look like floor boards. I then glued down some coarse sand around the walls to blend them into the bases. Once everything was painted, I added some flocking along the edges.

European Ruined Hamlet

The Stone Bridge is manufactured by Italeri, but marketed by Warlord Games. It comes as a 6 piece hard plastic boxed set that goes together very smoothly to give you a single arch stone bridge that would work on any battlefield in Europe for the past 500 years.

 

Single Arch Stone Bridge.
 

 The points being claimed are as follows:

19 x 28mm foot figures @ 5 points = 95 points

2 x 28mm vehicles @ 20 points = 40 points

453 cubic inches of terrain @ 20 points per 216 cubic inches = 42 points

I was considering claiming for the Caprica (Outer Ring) bonus with the theme of 'Doomed' in mind. Let's face it. The Polish Army in 1939 was definitely doomed, but we will save that for another entry.

 

__________________________________


First, welcome to the Painting Challenge, Frederick, it's great to have you with us!

It's wonderful to see you adding to your fine WWII Polish collection. I quite like the whacky looks of that armoured car (cool camo!), and give it additional kudos for being in 1/48th scale (I dislike the accepted 'clown-car scale' of 1/56), though I realize this opinion is highly subjective (I await your comments, Nick). :)

Those Renedra plastic building sets are terrific, so versatile, and you've done a great job in their assembly and basing.

All in all, an excellent first volley towards your points target. Good work!

- Curt


14 comments:

  1. Excellent 1st post, welcome to the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all these WW2 Early War armies and specially the little tin cans they called "tanks". Very good opening shot in the Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Challenge, a very nice first post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no you got him started on 1/48 vs 1/56 scale. All the kit looks great. I have a soft spot for the Vickers and the Poles (who are on my bucket list). Very useful ruined hamlet and I may have to acquire a bridge like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking Polish force,love the tank and armoured car, the terrain is excellent too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work!

    I love that ruined hamlet. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great 1st post Frederick! I do like the ruins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the Challenge Frederick, a great opening salvo, you've got a full army and Terrain already 👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. As wonderfully painted as your figures are, I really like your treatment of the buildings and the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like everything in your initial post, but your ruined hamlet is my favourite 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice Poles and terrain, Frederick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work, and the AC is eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well done, Frederick!it is nice to see the Poles getting some attention, and they are painted very well. My favorite allies to fight and train with too. They are very professional, but at the same time they are European rednecks. Some of the wild ideas they get, and they actually work! ;)

    ReplyDelete