Monday 14 February 2022

AdamC: Royal Navy Visit Coruscant (120 Points)

Well its been a long time since I had a post possibly my longest time between posts in any challenge.  First my wife and then my daughter and I came down with covid killing my painting time (and painting ambition even when I had time).


I return with 4 Royal Navy three decker's 2nd rates in the Royal Navy terms.

The first three are Simon Mann's generic 92 gun ship of the line. It's a fine model I only needed to add some figure heads. 

HMS Queen with the blue ensign

HMS Prince George flying a Red Ensign

HMS Prince of Whales with the White Ensign.

The last ship is Henry Turner's 98 gun London the model isn't quite as sharp but with some leftover pieces from the Warlord 3rd rates it looks pretty good.  

Ok so how do Royal Navy ships count as "Imperial" well I have two strings to that bow. First the Royal Navy was obviously the keystone of the British Empire. People respected the British Empire because even if you managed a short term victory on land the Navy would come sailing over the horizon at some point and bring in more troops and firepower than you could handle. Second the Imperial Navy of Star Wars was clearly modeled after the Royal Navy. This is clear from the upper crust vaguely English accents and mannerisms of it's officer's. 

Okay points four 2nd Rates ships of the line should be 25 points each for 100 points plus another 20 for Corascant (if Peter agrees). This should add another squirrel point.  It's good to be back in the game. 

Take note Ray, Adam got pre-approval on the location.  He's pushing it  bait on Imperial, since Victoria didn't formally become Empress until 1858.  However, I'll totally buy the Royal Navy as the ultimate instrument of Imperial might.  My personal fave example is the fleet of ironclads that forced the Dardanelles in 1878 and stopped the Russian army in its tracks outside Constantinople.

Glad to heat that you are on the road to recovery from COVID, I concur on its ability to kill both painting time and painting willpower.

Fine work on the second rates, they are more than fit to hold their place in the battle line.  







14 comments:

  1. Very nice ships, Adam! Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Peter I was once told by a history teacher the except in unashamedly autocratic systems (see the ancient world and Napoleon) the acquisition of empire almost always predates the acknowledgment of Empire. The British had an Empire after about 1762 it just took them awhile to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great work Adam and I'm glad you've bounced back to good health. You're right in that Britain was an imperial power far in advance of Victoria's ascension to Empress. In fact, England claimed itself as an 'Empire' in 1533, and claimed its first successful colonies in the early 17th century. In short, you're good, buddy. :)

      Delete
    2. I appreciate your seal of approval

      Delete
    3. Hey for the record I was good with the Imperial theme!

      Delete
    4. I concur with the idea that you can be an empire without calling yourself one. If you are an extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, you're an empire.

      Delete
    5. @ Peter and I appreciate this point

      Delete
  3. Great looking trio of Imperial 2nd rates!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice ships, glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive ships! Happy to hear that you and your family are back on track to good health!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s a great looking squadron, glad to see you back and in better health!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shiver me timers that’s a fine flotilla! very pleased that you’re feeling better.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Adam, glad you're back on the brush!

    ReplyDelete