Monday 14 February 2022

From StuartL - Near Earth Orbit - Terra and Lune - 54 Points

Hello fellow challengers.

Just the one post from me this week as work has been keeping me pretty busy. On my previous trip round the challenge sector, I cleared the middle ring and so now I am making my way down into the Inner Ring. Hanging a sharp turn as I descend through the Great Abyssal, I'm tackling the Inner Ring counter-clockwise and starting with a brief trip home to Terra.

According to Warhammer 40K lore, after the Emperor was interred into the Golden Throne following the Horus Heresy, his bodyguards, The Legio Custodes, spent the next 10,000 years hanging around the Imperial Palace on Earth doing next to nothing. I can't imagine it would have been a particularly fulfilling job standing guard over an immovable subject at the centre of the most heavily fortified system in the galaxy. But the pay is probably pretty good and it's all indoor work with almost no overtime, so there are some positives to it. I think 10,000 years on the planet counts as 'Earthbound' for the challenge requirements.


The figure was painted up in brass and then drybrushed with a brighter gold and given a sepia wash before all the detail was painted in. As most of the armour detail is also gold, it was a quick model to finish. The figure is pretty bulky, standing a head taller than other 40K models.


With that quick stop off at Terra done, it's a visit to Lune next. The theme here is witchcraft and sorcery, so I had a look for something suitable in my various mini boxes. While I do have some witches and some sorcerers, I found something a little different in one of my Reaper Bones boxes. A goblin shaman. Fantasy stories are replete with druids, rangers and their various animal companions, but largely they dwell in the forests and roam the wilderness. But what happens when they are one of the dregs of society, eking a living in the middle of a big city and surviving on scraps. The figure I chose is dressed in rags and has a large spider crawling up it's back, so I got a feeling that it was some kind of vermin handler, so I dragged out some rat figures to go with it. So I present my Gutter Shaman.


The shaman herself is a Reaper mini, the big rat is from the old D&D miniatures wargame and the small rat is a resin figure I had picked up from somewhere. The cobblestones on the base were made from modelling putty rolled into small balls and squished down onto the wooden base.


So, for these two entries, I have:
1x 40mm Custodian - 7 points.
1x 20mm Goblin - 4 points.
1x 15mm Rat - 2 Points
1x 10mm Rat - 1 Point
2x Locations - 40 points.
For a grand total of 54 Points.

There is also 1 Skull for my ongoing side duel.

Skullz Total 105



- A request for the minion/admin team. 

Would it be possible to up my challenge target to 2000 please?  ✅ I have made it so!

I am sorry that there's is only one post this week Stuart, you  normally bring some nice work to the blog. However, I'll be happy with the lovelies that you've presented here.  

I'd take 10,000 years on light guard duty over most army jobs in the 40K universes and totally buy the earthbound theme.  I also like the scuzzy looking goblin sorcerer, I think that the Giant Rat might be better company.  Nice posing and basing on the figures, and nice to see the old figures get new life.

9 comments:

  1. Well done Stuart - nice to see a Custodian "out for a breath of fresh air" after such a long turn on guard duty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, Stuart! I love that Gobbo shaman! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work Stuart. I really like that Custodes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good looking guard,great looking goblin shamen!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Custodes are pretty hard, being almost single colour, but you have done a good job! The gobbo shaman is nice, too, I like your cobblestones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the bases, especially the cobblestones. Congrats on reaching your original points goal, and kudos on raising the bar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Shaman is creepy as all get out and wonderful! I really like how you created the cobblestones on your base. I’m going to try to replicate that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like the shaman and her base.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely stuff, it's good to see someone hasn't given up old school ways of making good terrain bases in an age of 3D printers.
    Being a Custodes seems like a cushy billet, but the down side is never ending inspections and always polishing that armour, I guess.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete