Monday 14 February 2022

From JohnB: 40mm Homemade Toy Soldiers, KuK troops circa 1900 somewhere in Galicia. (581 points)

Once again I offer a mix of my own sculpts, gravity cast chez moi. This time 3 battalions of KuK infantry, a group of 5 KuK artillerymen, a regiment of 8 KuK uhlans, and an almost complete regiment of 6 KuK dragoons… and lastly, a sample figure from my late 17th-early 18th C collection…  generic musketeer. Whew, that’s a slew…

I am painting these figures in the uniform that predates the 1909 introduction of the pike gray uniform. (the Russian opposition is in summer white linen…) One infantry battalion is sporting shakos and dress tunics, while the other two are in field dress including the feldkap.

 

The cavalry are in all their finery. This is as it should be, these are toy soldiers after all.

 

The gunners are wearing their shakos with horse hair plume and are in their traditional brown tunics with red waffenfarbe.


I include the 1700 musketeer as a counter, somewhat to the mass uniformity of my 19th C armies. I have a lot of these fellows to paint. For my standards, it is a good period, as generic figures can be painted as various nations, historical or otherwise.

No Italian actresses whatsoever here amongst the Ruthenians, little champagne, and the mess smells of boiled cabbage. We get by on some specie of hootch made from plums, and, thank God, passable pilsner. My new batman is hopeless, usually drunk and goes by the name of Svjek…?

53 40mm foot@ 7points=371 points

14 40mm cavalry@15 points=210 points

Total = 581 points

I must be doing something right if I get to minion these lovelies John.  Excellent work that appeals to my inner child.  Really like those cavalrymen.  And there's a great Little Wars?Charge vibe to those shots of the troops all lined up on table.  

Bravo sir and enjoy your Pilsner, you've earned it.

15 comments:

  1. Very impressive collection of moustaches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous work John. Your efforts look tremendous! We really need to book you in for a visit at the gaming studio once spring settles in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Curt. You are too kind. I look forward to my next visit to Pile o' Bones.

      Delete
  3. Splendid looking Ruritanian force,lovely toy soldier feel!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful, love some old school shiny soldiers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toy soldiers as they should be, well done, John!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work John, design, sculpt, cast, paint and play. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely stuff. I do like the gunners.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and Ross McFarlane are two treasures of old school Canadian gaming, these are just lovely. With the entrancing trees and house in the background, they remind me of some CBC kids TV show from my childhood that should have existed but didn’t. Simply delightful.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete