Monday 14 February 2022

From FrederickC: Superheroes and Snowtroopers [Krypton][Gethen] (70 points)

 

We continue on our journey around the Inner Ring with two stops this week. Our ship is holding together, but we are going to need major repairs, if we survive to the end of the trip. Most importantly, the engine is still generating power. (Never underestimate the power of Duck Tape. 😉)  

-----

Luke Skywalker: [on first seeing the Millennium Falcon] What a piece of junk! 

Han Solo: She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

-----

Krypton (#13 on the map) - a planet which orbits a red star. Before its destruction, it was home to a great civilization which boasted advanced science and technology. The theme is 'Superheroes'.

I didn't have any miniatures that were easily identifiable as a specific superhero, although the figure with the helmet and gun has a bit of a 'Peacemaker' vibe to him. I don't even know where I got these figures from or who manufactured them. They all stand 30-32mm in height, so they are slightly taller than the usual 25-28mm figures. Perhaps the Hive Mind can provide some clues.

They were first primed with black, and then painted using Vallejo acrylics. I used some GW washes on the skin areas, and on the hair. The colours chosen for two of the figures were based on suggestions from my wife, who used to collect Marvel and DC comics before we got married. The colours for the 'Peacemaker' figure are based on images of that superhero found on the net. So I give you 'Blue Moon' (named for the frequency of his appearances), 'Omega Dude' (named because of his fancy wristwatch), and my version of 'Peacemaker' (who is wearing his holster on his right side, but shooting left-handed. 😕)




 Gethen (#14 on the map) - a planet in the Ekumen universe. Because of its cold climate, the planet is sometimes called "Winter". The themes are 'Ice' and 'Cold'.

Diving into my box of unpainted Sci-Fi miniatures, I found three West End Games Star Wars Snowtroopers as they appeared in 'The Empire Strikes Back' during the attack on Echo Base. They were primed in grey, and then painted using Vallejo acrylics. After the bases had been painted white, some AK Diorama 'Snow Sprinkles' was applied  While not as fancy as some of the newer Star Wars: Legion figures out there, I think they still look pretty good. 

The points being claimed are as follows:

6 x 28mm foot figure @ 5 points = 30 points

2 x Challenge Quadrant locations (Krypton, Gethen) @ 20 points each = 40 points

The Quadrant Map so far

 Course laid in for Altair, the next stop on our trip (as long as the engine holds together).


Great work on these figures Frederick.  I don't know my Superheroes from my Super Bowls but I like the name Omega Dude, it has a cool actuarial meaning.  A very chilly looking set of Storm troopers too. I am not sure if those suits have room for long johns.  

9 comments:

  1. Great looking combo of supers and stormtroopers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on these guys Frederick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice trios for the planets, Frederick! Snowtroopers look good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice collection, you are hoovering up those planets

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your frosty Snowtroopers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He’s not really set up to cross-draw, is he.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ant help you ID the minis, but they’re well done.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete