Monday 14 February 2022

From PeteF: Ambush! Arab Bowmen (80 points)

SAGA is one of my favourite games. To build an army for your faction the model count is in the 25-73 range and with so many "Ages" in play there are many factions to choose from. My wargaming group plays a decent amount of SAGA - we started with Age of Vikings, then Age of Magic. Three years ago I got the rulebook for Age of Crusades and even painted my first unit - Mutatawia Hearthguard on camels for Challenge X. Since then the pace has been glacial - Before this unit of bow warriors I've only finished a unit of 12 spear warriors. If I can get my act together I might even have a completely painted army when we play our first Crusades game in 2 weeks' time.


The figures are a mix of the official Gripping Beast metal Mutatawia bow warriors and Gripping Beast plastic Arab bowmen. I like the heft of metal but I also like the price and posability of plastics. It was fun to individualise these warriors - googling "Medieval Arab bows" turned up some nice colourful laquered examples so I went with that. 




The bases are supposed to be cracked earth/sandy desert. I used GW's Agrellan earth and painted/washed/drybrushed.   


They're going to ambush a lot of hapless crusaders so I'm entering them for Caprica. Just realized I'm still on the outer ring and we're more than halfway through the Challenge. Work and injury have certainly kept me behind the pace this year. I request  our Monday Minion to transport me through a warp maelstrom to the Middle Ring - let's see where we land.



12x 28mm = 60 points plus 20 points for Caprica = 80points

Squirrel +1 (total 6)

Skulz +0 (total 1)





My brain can't quite grip onto Saga asa set of rules, but I do like the period and the scale of action.  And having modelled El Cid era armies, I really like Arab bowmen.  Yours are just wonderful, love the research into bow colours.  Kudos on the basing too.





12 comments:

  1. Lovely work Pete. I'm definitely going to incorporate some interesting bow colours for my next set of Arab/Ottoman archers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy your colour choices and the basing is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those colourful bows, belts, pouches and other sparkling thingies are ace! They work very nice with the robes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great painting - love these figures!

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking arab bowmen, great finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the colour scheme and the flashes of bright colours. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As others have noted, the colour scheme, especially on the bows and belts, is just excellent. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great touch with those bows, wish medieval longbows were a big more colourful!

    ReplyDelete