Wednesday 9 February 2022

From AlexK - More Superheros and space adventures (101 points)

The pull of Atomic Mass Games "Marvel Crisis Protocol" is still pulling strong and most of the last month has been spent painting more Marvel characters. Over the last weeks I have painted in no particular order, Ms. Marvel, Ms. Marvel Embiggened, Bob; Agent of Hydra, Clea, Sin, M.O.D.O.K, Killmonger and Baron Mordo. I still have 10 more characters left to paint and then I think I can call this project done.....for now. The bigger characters like M.O.D.O.K and Ms. Marvel are really good fun to paint and in Ms. Marvel's case quite a challenge. A model with only 3 bold primary colours should be simple on paper, but getting the colours to transition between light and shadow turned out to be a lot harder than I had first imagined. Points wise I think I'm good for 8 x 40mm figures, so 56 points. I also can't help think I'm missing a trick by not submitting these for the planets challenge, but that's a problem for future Alex who will be in no doubt scrabbling for points mid-march.










As a little side project I have also jumped into painting a crew up for Osprey games "Stargrave", a miniature agnostic sci-fi skirmish game were you write the backstory for your crew and do exactly as you please. This format is increasingly beginning to become much more appealing to me due to it's lack of limitations and I'm much happier letting my imagination run riot. So up next we have the first 5 members of the crew for the star ship "Enlightenment".



The "Enlightenment" is a prison transport ship that was transporting prisoners between local systems toward the prison satellite station "Infinity VI" when the galaxy was plunged into civil unrest and contact with the station was lost leaving the "Enlightenment" travelling star systems looking for a new home. The crew consist of a mixture of prison officer, detention droids and several members of cargo. As is usual, orange jump suits are reserved for the prisoners as tradition dictates. It has been good fun trying different skin tones, uniforms and kit bashing to create a cohesive team. That is another 4 x 28mm crew figures for 20 points and a scratch built detention droid that stands 40mm tall for 7 points.

Cheers,
Alex
 
***
 
Hi Alex - well, I must confess, I just can't do superheroes...but that's OK, it is good that there is a ton of variety to the hobby and to subjects that motivate the participants in The Painting Challenge. Whatever my hopes for Marvel's executives to be placed in a rocket and launched directly into the sun while the rest of the company simply plunges into bankrupcty, I know great brushwork when I see it, and you have done a fine job here on these heroes - who other Challengers will surely recognize. The colours are brilliant, and each character is quite distinctive (even though Marvel writers will make all of them exactly the same in 15 seconds, but I digress). Well done.
 
And another Stargrave crew! It is fun to see this set of rules taking off amongst many Challengers, and it seems like a set of rules I should check out for myself. Once more, your brushwork is top shelf, and the back story sounds fun and engaging (so, the opposite of Marvel). I'm particularly blown away by that "Dentention Droid" - how cool is that thing?! I'm going to score that up as a 28mm vehicle, so you will get some bonus points for your excellent conversion work all around on that Stargrave crew - hopefully supporting Future Alex...

GregB

13 comments:

  1. Nice supers and Stargrave crew, Alex! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking crew; wonderful kitbashing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really neat stuff! Your superheroes are spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work on these minis. I don’t do supers either, nothing against the concept but rather focus my brain elsewhere. Like the Stargrave crew and backstory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow factor. Very nice all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know these superheroes either, but they do look like superheroes, well done! Stargrave crew looks good, too, I'm tempted to that direction...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super Supers Alex. I do like the way you painted the first figure in Green, holding the bazooka thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, fabulous work on these Supes, Alex. I really like the punch colours and your basework is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen anything like this before - those are just brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work Alex, you are right though that some of these could easily have bagged you bonus points.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Splendid looking supers and the Stargrave crew are ace, I think I'm going to give in and just get the rules!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a superhero guy but I think you're a superhero with a brush, the colours on all these figs are incredibly clean and vibrant, just a fine entry all around, and the spacers are acers. Cool.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do like your crew! May I highly recommend Five Parsecs if you need to do solo gaming.

    ReplyDelete