Monday 28 February 2022

From PeteF: Moor Medieval Arabs for SAGA (85 points)

 





One of the reasons I'm way behind the pace is that most of what I've ended up painting is not uniform - rather than easy repeatable brushwork on Minifigs French line infantry I've ended up contributing to smaller, more skirmishy war bands.


These are the last of my Mutataww'ia for SAGA Age of Crusades - just came in under the wire for my SAGA group's game this Sunday. I painted the first four Mutataww'ia on camels two challenges ago - progress has been slow until now.


Here are four hearthguard mounted on horses, four hearthguard on foot and a Warlord on foot. In the future I might expand my options with more camel riders and a warlord on a camel. 



Together with the original camel riders, archers from earlier this month and spear warriors this makes up a full 6 point warband for SAGA. Now that this one is done I'm trying to decide whether to do some some crusading knights, go back and finish my Age of Vikings Normans, or start a new warband in a new SAGA Universe (the Footsore Romano Britons are calling to me for Age of Invasions and Victrix Numidians would look great for Age of Hannibal). So many choices so little time. So much squirrelage.


For SAGA I magnetize the minis' bases - and glue a metal sheet (cut from dollar store baking pans) in these handy carriers - a three layered carrier has space for all the minis, dice and tokens.


All these figures are from Gripping Beast - and they've been great fun to paint. I love the variety of weapons, armour, poses and shields - it makes for a nice warband. I tried to pull it together with a few basic colours. The shield designs were inspired by/borrowed from ones you can get decals for - I wonder if there are any other sources for medieval arab shields - googling doesn't turn up that much.


No squirrel point for Moor SAGA Arabs. Here's the points breakdown:

4x28mm Cav = 40 points

5x28mm Foot = 25 points

+20 points for Arakis - desert planet = 85 points TOTAL


Squirrel +0 (total 6)

Skulz +0 (total 1)

I am always a big fan of Medieval Arabs Pete, and this is bunch with a lot of colour and movement.  There is a trade off with the uniforms vs variety of dress, I find it works to alternate between them from time to time to keep the brain limber.  Love the basing too.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Pete:
    You've worked some amazing and intricate detail into those figures, like the border on the white cloak, and the shields look handpainted! Very very nice entry.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these Pete, especially the cavalry (and I like the cupcake holder storage solution as well).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ve achieved so much detail in these figures! Your storage novel transport/storage solution is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good looking non-uniform troops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice painting, love the shields.

    ReplyDelete
  6. blimey, that's some inspiring freehand on these Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely cloaks and shields

    ReplyDelete