Sunday 9 January 2022

From Barks: Dernhelm [Solaris] (50 points)

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. 'But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn am I, Éomund's daughter.'

JRR Tolkien, The Return of the King (1955)

Deception and illusion at Solaris! Éowyn masquerades as the Rider Dernhelm, pulling the wool over the eyes of Théoden, Merry and the Witch King. This is a gorgeous plastic kit. You get a mounted Dernhelm and Merry- and Merry is detachable. He sits solidly without pinning or magnets and is easily removable. I enjoyed painting the cloaks, with a more grey tone for Merry's elven one.

"... maiden of the Rohirrim, child of kings,
slender but as a steel-blade, fair yet terrible."


sans Merry

You get a dismounted Dernhelm and Merry.

"Her eyes grey as the sea were hard and fell, and yet tears were on her cheek."


I also had a metal Éowyn - if I'm already painting two Éowyns, what is one more?

"... the helm of her secrecy had fallen from her, and her bright hair,
released from its bonds, gleamed with pale gold upon her shoulders."

1x 28mm mounted figure: 10 points

4x 28mm figures: 20 points

Location bonus [Solaris]: 20 points

Slowpainter's ABC: R for Rohan



___________________________________

One of my favorite passages from the books, captured brilliantly in film, and here in miniature! Lovely work Barks. I really like the colours and shading you've done on the mounted set (I had no idea that the Merry figure was removable - an amazing bit of sculpting, that). The dismounted set is excellent as well and I'm very much admiring how your basework matches your table surface. Nice.

That nasty Witch-King is in for a big surpriiise...

- Curt

38 comments:

  1. Smashing trio of Eowyns (Eowyii?) here Barks, nicely painted and they certainly remind me of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work, especially love to see the two sides of the characters (mounted and on foot) with the personalities coming through

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely loving these LotR figures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great painting Barks! Some more Lotr goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are lovely sculpts and superb painting, love the cloaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like shading and highlighting the folds.

      Delete
  6. I didn't really appreciate that mini set until I saw yours Barks- really well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was genuinely impressed with the removable Merry.

      Delete
  7. Really beautiful paint job on those. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great set, and these are so well done Barks. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Rohan and the model with the detachable Merry is on my shopping list 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome trio of heroines!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. great brushwork barks

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the look on all these minis. I have a trio of the old metal LotR versions of Dernhelm/Eowyn, but your rendition of these plastic ones are superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t have the metal ones so I drained my wallet for these admittedly lovely new ones.

      Delete