Wednesday 23 March 2022

From SimonG: AHPC XII Wrap-Up aka Swords & Sandals

It hardly seems like yesterday that it was the end of November and I'd just realised that I'd missed the cut-off to sign up for this year's challenge 😫 . Very luckily for me Carl was kind enough to expand the roster of entrants and admit me along with a few other laggards!


Now why do I never smile? Mr Grumpy and his figures 😄 


Last time was my first entry into the full challenge (having participated in the Quarantine Challenge earlier in the year) and I had rather hoped that I'd be able to match my target of 1,000 achieved in Winter 2020/21.  Unfortunately painting at a somewhat larger scale (i.e. human room sized!) got in the way and I fell quite a long way short.  


A reasonable haul ...


Still I did manage to work on four separate projects including

1) Putting the finishing touches to my 28mm Hundred Years War Impetus project -- finally now ready to be hit the tabletop now that I have a room set aside for gaming and a suitable table -- seven KR boxes full of figures ready to go


Ravens and Maidens

2) Making a solid start on my next 28mm project -- the Jewish Revolt as a skirmish game using 'Clash of Spears'.  I still haven't got into the routine of assembling my figures before the challenge starts so one of my excuses for lower painting productivity this time around is all that head swapping and tzitzit adding! Still this looks like a good project and I'm looking forward to including some major construction of ancient fortifications in the next AHPC



Annoying shields and other fiddly bits!


3) Continuing to chip away at my 10mm Cold War Gone Hot project and making a start on my BAOR force. Vehicles make a nice change from 28mm figures and I also like painting camo at 10mm -- basing at this scale on the other hand less so


Pointy end of the British force


4) And finally a smattering of Black Rose Wars characters for variety and to meet various challenge goals.  I'm rather coming to the end of the Stator Box now but I think I've got another expansion due to arrive soon so should set me in good stead for next time.  I always enjoy the variety of designs, and scales among these figures -- and of course lots of opportunities to try out new designs and techniques.



All shapes and sizes!


* * * * * * * * * * * *


Of course none of this would be possible without the sterling efforts of Curt and Lady Sarah plus the minions -- my apologies to Curt (my appointed minion) for errors in point scoring and other demands on his time.  Also my deepest thanks to all who have commented so kindly on my efforts.

Until next Winter here's wishing you all the best in your painting, and gaming -- and in the wider (and wilder) world outside this pastime.


Simon


ps anyone who finds themselves in East Kent (Sandwich) and fancies taking a side in an Impetus HYW battle please feel free to give me a shout 

31 comments:

  1. A great set of finished figures, Simon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin -- and thanks for all of your great feedback and suggestions over the challenge

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed all your entries, Simon, especially your Jewish revolt. Thanks for joining us this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Curt and for continuing to helm this shindig so well

      Delete
  3. A great set of entries. I especially liked those shields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, at least I’ve now got some time to work up some more designs (no transfers for me😂)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, not as much as I’d hoped but a good selection nonetheless

      Delete
  5. Great work Simon. I really enjoyed the Jewish revolt project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, glad to have made a start on this and no doubt I’ll be plodding along with it again next year (2 years a project sounds about right for the bull of the work, although these things are never finished are they!)

      Delete
  6. Some find additions to your collection, Simon! Congrats on painting a room,too, and getting a dedicated room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu -- wish it was one room only (we moved mid last year and lets just say there was a lot to do!)

      Delete
    2. I can relate to that, we bought an old house year and half ago, moved in a year ago and we have done a lot and there is lot to do. :)

      Delete
  7. Well done, a respectable haul of figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, quality over quantity as they say 🤪

      Delete
  8. Your being too modest, you painted a fair amount of figures in the end and well too. Your projects were great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments. Glad you liked the output!

      Delete
  9. A great collection of figures Simon, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray -- really appreciate this and all your great comments throughout the challenge

      Delete
  10. Great looking collection of figures, I especially liked the Jewish revolt ones, the shields were particularly impressive!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain -- I just need to find some more sample designs to work on for next time

      Delete
  11. If you'd been able to pass off the home project as terrain... nice work on the minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea -- now why didn't I try that 🧐

      Delete
  12. It is too bad you weren’t able to count the points for your large scale terrain piece, but the rest of your collection is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha -- really enjoyed your work and thanks for commenting on my efforts over the past few months

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing your excellent painted figures Simon! Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Sander and for really appreciated all your input over the past few months

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks Barks and look forward to seeing you again next time around

      Delete
  15. great work Simon, so you next year!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt -- likewise look forward to seeing you and your work again for winter 22-23

      Delete