Thursday 5 January 2023

From AndrewB: High Martian Adventure and a Casting Couch [High Adventure][Casting Couch] (158pts)

This is a rather larger installment, but here we go!  First off, in the idea of the High Adventure room, we’re venturing all the way to Mars with Victorian adventurers!  Starting off, we have 13 of RAFM’s colonial martians, who have joined with British forces against their planetary brethren.  There aren’t many sculpts, but I like them, and they paint up fairly well, even by a goof like me.  




Next, we have a stationary gun(RAFM), and a couple delightful vehicles that would make any Victorian scientist squeal with delight, both from Ironclad miniatures! I’m always torn as to how to paint vehicles from this setting, but with these looking like one-off experimental vehicles, we left them looking like raw materials.  





I’m not delighted with the base of the gun, but it will hopefully be mounted on a sky galley before long, using magnets like most of my other weapons of the setting, so the large cast-iron looking mount seemed appropriate for use as an emplaced gun or ship-mounted weapon.  

Last, and certainly least-  I was at a loss for a fun miniature calling out to me from a casting setting, but I ran across a very ‘casting couch’ looking small set of scatter terrain.  As the room is described as ‘discrete’, I figured we may as well look directly into the belly of that particular beast.  Here is my admittedly ruined version of the casting couch!



Not my favorite work, but it may earn the points through creativity and realism.  

Points total for this post-

13 28mm figures- 65pts

2 28mm vehicles- 40pts

1 28mm gun- 10pts

2 studios- 40pts

Crummy casting couch terrain- 3pts?  

Looking at a tentative total of 158 for this post!  Oh boy!  More coming soon!  I’ll get my map of the studio updated and posted with my next installment!


From TeemuL: Aaaand the third post from AndrewB for today! Victorians in Mars is a setting I'm not that familiar with, but I have seen posts here and there in this Challenge blog. Sounds interesting, but I'm resisting... Casting Couch is spot on for Casting Couch, if you ask me and the terrain points you suggest, seem about right. Very tricky to score these, but sounds right. Looking forward to see your map next week. ;)

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for post - especially like the mini tank and early helicopter!
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the steampunk contraptions (esp the 'copter) and that casting couch looks like it has had the full 'Harvey treatment'. Yeash...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent loving the Mars steampunk stuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bathtub helicopter! Great painting Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love those VSF vehicles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, I especially love the Steam Punky flyer. The casting couch looks suitably disarrayed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colonial troops and their support look great. The couch has certainly seen better days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work. Troops and steampunk AFV s look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some very funny miniatures and concepts here! I admire your casting couch! Those Victorian contraptions are great, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love those old RAFM Colonial Martians Andrew, and have a bunch of them all painted up. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That flying contraption is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice Victorian steampunk vehicles! Less said about the couch the better!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really liking those experimental vehicles and the metal work on them! Great job there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the steampunk 'copter and tank. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great work on the Ironclad Miniatures vehicles

    ReplyDelete
  16. Digging the Victorians in Space stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool indeed. Love the vehicles in particular

    ReplyDelete