Thursday 5 January 2023

From LeeH: Poynings, Guildford, Talbot & Savage (56 Points)

For my first submission with the Thursday crew (good day gentlemen), I have some pikemen and scurriers (light cavalry). Sadly I’m back at work properly since yesterday so I expect the speed of delivery will slow a bit. I’ve had most of the last two and a half weeks off work and, thanks to a very understanding wife, I have got a lot painted. But I couldn’t avoid work forever and with its return so my painting time will be curtailed. That being said, the ability to work from home means I can get simple but time-consuming jobs like varnishing and waiting for the glue on bases to dry, completed while I work (my ‘office’ is also my games room…oh the humanity!)



Anyway on with today's submission. First, we have the troops of Sir Edward Poynings of Southwark. In my army list, he has a unit of pikemen and a unit of archers. It's likely that many of the pikemen that accompanied Henry’s army to England were French and other mercenaries (that depends on the source material and the scholar interpreting them of course). For the purposes of my OOB, I have assigned the to Poynings and they were his red livery. Sir Edward had been amongst those Nobles who rebelled against Richard III in 1483 and after their defeat, he had fled to join Henry in exile.



Next, we have Sir Richard Guildford of Halden. As with Poynings, I have assigned him a unit of pike and a unit of archers. I made an educated guess as to the livery for his troops, partly based on his personal banner but also on the fact I wanted to do halved livery (yellow and black). I wasn’t sure how well it would come out but I’m pretty happy with the effect.



The last two units are small skirmish cavalry units under Sir Gilbert Talbot and Sir John Savage. Some of the accounts I have read suggest these were placed on the flanks of Oxford's army when it attacked Norfolk's troops. Various rules treat such light cavalry differently so it's hard to judge how effective they would be but as with all the other variables for this battle, it's something I can experiment with. Any suggestions for research material on how light cavalry was used in this period would be greatly appreciated.



Lastly, I thought I would snap a picture of everything I have completed thus far. This is a little under a quarter of the total project…so I have my work cut out for me! Incidentally, thank you to everyone who has left nice comments on my submissions thus far. It is greatly appreciated and keeps me motivated. However, I must correct a misconception…the painting really isn’t that great. Seriously, 6mm is a doddle to paint simply because you don’t have to be that careful or detailed with the painting. My method is to block paint all the main areas and then ink the whole model to add shadows and define one bit of kit from another (the micro equivalent of blacklining a figure). Close up they look terrible…but they look perfectly fine in the 3ft test. I have been putting extra effort into the basing and the flags and these two latter stages - far more than the painting - are what make these look ok at arm's length.



That is it from me for now. Hopefully, I will have something to show off for next week's submission.


Points Estimate:
96x6mm Foot - 48 Points
8x6mm Cavalry - 8 Points
Total - 56 Points

TeemuL: I agree with you, in 6mm the nice flags and pretty bases steal the attention, so there is no need to paint pupils and mustaches... The group shot is excellent, looking forward to see how this develops and how close you get when the Challenge ends.

13 comments:

  1. Another great entry of your 6mm project. The full army displayed on a table must be impressive

    ReplyDelete
  2. More tiny goodness, Lee! :)

    My understanding of how light horse was used in this period is that during battle they protected the flanks from potential ambushes, but their main role would come after the battle pursuing routing enemy troops (if they won) or delaying pursuit (if they lost).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Lee, really like those

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bloody hell Lee, your smashing through these! Well done ol chap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great! I think that is exactly how one should tackle these small soldiers, very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't sell yourself short on the painting there.. the 3 foot test is all that matters really for any gaming army, and it looks the business! I am daunted by even trying this scale to be fair so.. kudos to you for giving it a go in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 feet or not these are excellent Lee. Bases and faces is a theme for larger figures and at 6mm it must be bases and flags. Great work. This is a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great project Lee, I'm looking forward to following it with interest

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking army developing there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The method definitely works, the full project shot looks great, must be a rewarding sight!

    ReplyDelete