Thursday 5 January 2023

From DaveS - Very Big and Very Small (37 Points)

Back to my fourth (I think) challenge, and my latest start so far.  Combine the situation in healthcare in the UK at the moment with my having worked basically every day over christmas, and it has been a delayed start to my painting adventures.

Despite this, and despite me having some very definite plans for my "big" projects for the year, I have nevertheless decided to start with something from the studio.

When it was first released, I was introduced to the game "Moonstone" by Goblin King Games, by a friend who subsequently went on to write a lot of their fiction.  This was pre-pandemic, and I bought a couple of packs of Fairies and a Troll for the game. The fairies I started experimenting with, trying out using inks over zenithal as a painting effect, applying it using my then new airbrush.  I was never that excited by the effect, and the models got put on a shelf and forgotten about.

When I looked at the painting challenge this year, and realised that there was an "Under construction" studio, I realised that I would have to go digging.  A bit of hunting around turned up the models, and I built the troll, and re-undercoated the Fairies.

Therefore, I present you Boulder the Troll




He was painted using mostly contrast paints over a zenithal drybrushed basecoat (So-called "slap chop" method), and then some of the details like the rocks were painted in traditional fashion.  I am quite pleased with the results,given that he didn't take too much effort.


Teetoe is the first of the repainted fairys.  Again, she was mostly done with contrast paint over a drybrushed undercoat, although in her case the skin was given a purple glaze and a highlight to change the tone slightly.  The wings are modelled (loosely) on real butterlies.

One of the things that painting her taught me is that the contrast paints are going to be really useful, due to their slight transparency when trying to paint things like tattoos, and patterns on skin where you want a little of the skin tone to show through (this was discovered painting the black veins on the wings.)

My my count, this is 5 points for a 28mm fairy, 10 points for a 28mm monster, and then 20 points for the under construction Studio, for a total of 35 points.

__________________________________________________

Hey Dave, I saw your post in the queue and thought I'd pop it up so you wouldn't have to wait until next Wednesday. 

Great work on these two Moonstone characters! (Our group are big fans of Moonstone as it always seems to give a fun, close-fought and fast game.) 'Boulder' is terrific, especially his paler face in contrast to his darker body (nice horns too!). I also quite like the purple glaze effect on 'Teetoe's' skin - very apropos for a fairy I think. 

I'm scoring 'Teetoe' as a 40mm figure and 'Boulder' as a 54mm as I know he's a big lad.

Well done and welcome back to the Challenge, Dave!

- Curt

14 comments:

  1. Cool looking minis. I hadn't thought of using contrast paint to do skin patterns and tattoos, that's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking troll. The use of contrast and old style painting really compliments the figure. Great work. Hope to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both miniatures look absolutely great 👍! The troll came out particularly well, I think. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking Troll and fairy, the skin on the troll is great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the premise of this game, though havent gotten into it ( yet ).. but you have done them really well here! And cool to hear that you got introduced by the chap doing their fiction! Always a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these, Boulders has a Hensonesque look to him which I like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good looking minis, thanks for minioning, Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the troll figure. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work on these figures. Moonstone is great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice fantasy creatures Dave - and better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome. The troll is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete