Thursday 5 January 2023

From PeterD: Pict Hunters (30 Points)

 I have a small unit of Pict Hunters with bows.


Figures came from. bag of (IIRC) Old Glory 28mm Welsh Archers that I acquired 15-20 years ago.  While packaged as Welsh I figure that they are hairy, badly dressed and generically Celtic enough to work as Picts.  Being Old Glory, posing and anatomy is um... interesting at times.  Also it wasn't until I had these guys primed and ready to paint that I realized that two were wearing the Late Antiquity version of Ray's Budgie Smugglers.


According to Ancient Wargamer cannon (book of WRG) Picts differed from other hairy barbarians by using longer spears and more bows (including Crossbows).  It's all pretty circumstantial based mainly on 1500 year old rock carvings, but it means that a Pict war band has a different feel than a Scot-Irish warband or Saxon raiders.


I tried free handing plaids on a couple of figures but gave it up as a bad job after the first two.  I've left a clear space at the back of the bases for unit tables but I'm still playing around with the fonts that I want to use for Picts.


In terraforming my bases I tried to make these look like rougher terrain than typical with lots of rocks and low bushes. In his comments on my Intro post, Martijn noted that I had primed these figures on their bases and asked if it was something I often did.  It was a short lived experiment and after a single session they were pried off, put onto pennies for painting and then returned to their bases when ready.

Points wise I make this 6 28mm figures for 30 points and no theme bonus.  But I can apply the points to the Carausius Emperor of Britain side Duel.

TeemuL: Hairy barbarians they are! The rough terrain looks good and it is nice to see some old figs getting paint on them. Your math is correct, 30 points it is.

24 comments:

  1. Nice hunters, Peter! :)

    Ancient Ray-esque budgie smugglers? The horror, the horror! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. I’m hoping that the shrubbery hides the worst of it

      Delete
  2. Good work on those plaids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on these Picts, Peter. I think you should stick with the plaids as I think they look excellent, especially (as you often say) at the distances we typically game at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. There's plenty more scruffy Celtic types to come.

      Delete
  4. Liking those Peter, they look great

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Matt, there will be more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, love the plaids, very effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I won’t be your example with the basing then 😉

      Delete
    2. Thanks Martijn. I chalked it up as a fail.

      Delete
  7. Hairy Barbarians are hairy... great work there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I like things that turn out to be what’s on the tin.

      Delete
  8. Excellent work Peter. The foliage adds to the sneakiness of the plaid covered raiders. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bruce. It also hides a multitude of sins.

      Delete
  9. Nice to see these old(ish) sculpts getting some love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the plaid is working nicely, definitely adds the appropriate feel :)

    ReplyDelete