Thursday 5 January 2023

From SteveA: "Late Risen Undead" [High Adventure] (100 points)

Hello all, 

By these words and pictures below hereby do submit my premier post for my first time joining in on the AHPC, and consequently I do hereby also indulge in an wee bit of a circuitous self introduction as I present pictures of my first painted offerings for your review. 

Back in the early 90s to me were halcyon times when I had long hair atop my head and many pots of fresh Citadel paints at the ready - all things minis were awesome, the dice were six sided devils with whom I liked to share a few beers as we played a few haphazard table top battles with our friends while the metal music played... My back-log of unpainted minis was growing but manageable, and there seemed no reason to slow the accumulation of wargames I was getting into.  My Games Workshop fan boy fever dreams of many fully painted armies seemed both reasonable and inevitable, glorious. 

Well, with the discovery that reality was a poor friend to unchecked hobby ambitions, it came to pass that my back-log of unpainted minis grew faster than I laid paint from brush to models.  Then after a short few years of my enraptured submersion below war gaming waters, the stuff of life banished all of my miniaturing hobbies into a few crammed boxes that were hauled through a couple moves and left to languish in the darkest closet corners for over two decades.  

In those boxes of unpainted model shame and unspent paints, were unfinished soldiers for my mostly completed  "Undead Army", a mix of official Games Workshop undead and proxy miniatures that seemed fit for purpose at a lower price point for purchase, for playing games of Warhammer Fantasy Battle that made sense at the time. 


Now here I am in present day,  after a couple years of slowly resuming some of what is best in life, that being the painting minis and playing table top battles with friends!   At last, the call from the things dwelling in the closet were  not from bothersome haunting ghosts and gremlins, but rather from my brush, paint and minis of old!  My hair may have fallen from scalp to chin, and lost all color in the descent, but to battle I am called!  I must slay the grey!   Big thanks from me to ByronM and a couple others for relighting the creative fires whereupon I layer paint upon models for purpose of waging war and skirmish games upon dice battered and beer splattered table tops. ( and also there is a big thanks from the ghosts and gremlins in my closet, they are using the recently freed up closet space from my moved hobby supplies to set up a modest Karaoke stage for themselves.)


I am now rearmed with many new pots of paints, with paint brands new to me; Vallego and Army Painter as well as a few pots of what GW has to offer now..  and also surprisingly my old Citadel Colour pots of "Snot Green" and "Putrid Green" survived decades where my many other pots of citadel colours (and Ral Partha) paints had perished. These two old Citadel paints together are both fortuitous and relevant to this post.... as these old green pigments are present in my pictures for this post. 



Back in the day when I was painting my Warhammer Fantasy Army of "Undead", I was naturally inspired by what I saw in White Dwarf Magazine and 'Evy Metal painting.. which to me meant all bases were treated with sand and white glue and painted with a foundation of Green Snot, dry brushed with Green Putrescence then given a wash with whatever the painting gawds saw fit to have mixed upon my pallet that day

I had the old models, I had the old paint, I had a new challenge...

So for these new reborn undead, once lost to long years to the purgatory unpainted grey, they arise painted at last,  their moldering feet atop the same sandy green bases as their fellow undead in an army last painted many years ago... better late than never I suppose..

... and as these undead clamber and shuffle their return to the High Adventure of fantasy themed table top battles,  so do I also return in earnest to the hobbies of mini painting and rolling war dice with the first points scored next to my handle-name.

28mm Undead figures x 11 + Challenge   =   Total  100 points

Zombies (Foot Figure) 8x5pts                                        = 40pts
Skeleton Calvary (Mounted) 2x10pts                            = 20pts
Undead Dragon (Score as Mounted Figure Vehicle)    = 20pts
1st Green Studio Pass: 'High Adventure'                     = 20pts

From TeemuL: Welcome to the Challenge and I think your history is rather familiar to many of us. You are a lucky one, being able to keep and move thosee boxes containing old minis for several years! It is amazing how some of the GW paints are still usable after decades while at the same time some pots are pretty much useless when you carry them out of the store. You could have painted the bases more green, the edges can be green, too, you know? ;) It is good to see how old minis get some love (other than from ghosts and gremlins). I'll score your dragon as a vehicle, since it is much bigger than a regular mount and practically is a vehicle. Good to have you on board, looking for more goodness!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for great post - yes I remember "Snot Green" what happened to that? Love seeing the figures and great that they are now painted up so well.
    Cheers from fellow "Thursday Team" member JezT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work and welcome to the Challenge, Steve! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome! I love the grimy look you've achieved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent job, and amazing that you still have some of those old GW pots that still work! Looking back at figures like that dragon reminds me of how much things have grown over the years, look at any modern dragon and they are like 4x the size (and 25x the price).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous post Steve! I like them all, but those skelly cavalry are particularly excellent. I smiled at seeing your venerable green shades in the hex pots. I still have a few pots of Citadel metalics from the late 80s that are still going strong, but as Teemu says, some of the new GW offering dry out in no time at all. Makes me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff Steve and welcome to the challenge. Some fabulous ancient models there, great to see some paint on them!
    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very welcome, Steve! Great post, I particularly like those skeleton cavalry and your dragon. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great retro stuff. Takes most of us back to the day. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seeing all of these bits.. takes me right back to my early days of gaming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the skeletons and dragon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab war band - what games will they play?

    ReplyDelete