Wednesday 22 February 2023

From TeemuL: Gunslinger and Greenskins [Westerns][Fantasy] (90 points)


"Westerns have much in common to Superheroes, at lesat they used to. Character by John Wayne was the good guy and good guys had a happy end. That Italian genius then ruined the whole industry and now Westerns are a sub-area of comedy... So while we are here, we can think what we can learn from Westerns. Yes, there are good and bad guys (sometimes ugly, too, but they don't sell). Lots of outdoor scenes (unless playing poker) and wide shots. Men are men and women are there to be rescued. All these things are very close to Middle-Earth, not may be exactly (looking at you Galadriel), but very close. So there is lot of plot twists and themes we can use, I guess we only need a script..."

This mini is from YourModelBox, one of the exclusive minis they had. It is plastic and bigger than 28mm, but 40mm either. I painted him mainly in Contrast paints, the belts are old school paints as is the base. He has a scarf of some kind which hides his whole face, and while he is carrying something at the same time as shooting, I guess he is a bad guy. A robber of some sort, I'd say. Quite nice to paint, not too many details and an open pose.

I gave him a desert base, ideal for outdoors. It is one of GW's basing "paints" with a light drybrush and couple of tufts.


I'm rushing here a bit, we now move to the Fantasy Studio. There is a month left in the Challenge and I realized I will be away for almost two weeks, so if I want to handle the Red Chair Challenge by Snowlord, I better get there sooner than later. So yes, walking from Westerns through the already visited Swords & Sandals we get to the Fantasy. I know, some Lotr minis would have been an obvious choice, but instead I have these old Orcs ans Snotlings from Games Workshop.


Here are three bases of Snotlings, each having 5 of these vicious beasts. They are a mix of two plastic designs, randomized on the bases. The bases itself are a mix of two plastic bases and one mdf base, because I didn't have enough similar bases... And the skins have at least three different green shades on them, just under that green Biel-Tann Green wash, of course. Red cloths and clubs are of course mandatory. The eyes and teeth have some colour, too. The bases are covered with PVA glue and sand, then washed and painted green.


Snotlings are not to be trusted to be alone, so here are 3 Orcs to look after them. They are old plastic monopose orcs, but with rather modern shields. These three will boost my second unit of Orcs from 12 to 15, which is just one standard bearer short of 16, which will make a nice square.


And yes, these are an addition to an existing army, so I followed the original colour choices (originally from the box cover) with modern paints. These are not Contrasts however, regular acrylics, but from the 21st century. Bases are covered in same way as those of Snotlings.


And then the scores. 4 minis in 28mm scale for 20 points.
15 minis in 15mm scale for 30 points.
2 studio locations for 40 points.
In total a nice 90 points.
I should be now well over 2/3 of my target, but large amount of my points come from Studio location bonuses and like I said, I'm away for almost two weeks, so it will be a struggle to reach my target. At least I managed to reach The Director's Chair, let's see what he expects from me...


Minion Miles: Not 1 but 2 submissions from Teemu and who said today wasn't going to be a GREAT day!

18 comments:

  1. Love the cowboy
    I really don’t know what are snotlings but it’s an excellent word and I must find a way to use it in conversation 🙃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the Warhammer Old World there are big orcs, normal size orcs and small orcs (goblins). And then there are even smaller ones, Snotlings. Good for cannon fodder or food, I think.

      Delete
    2. In Dutch we have a word for little children behaving badly (usually less respectful than the person they address would like it), snotneus. Literally, it means snotty nose.

      Delete
    3. 'Snotneus': worthy appellation if I ever read one. :)

      Great work! Love the gunslinger Teemu!

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Teemu. I have the same throw back orcs. Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Teemu, hope your 2 weeks away will be for a nice holiday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One part holiday, one part not that much. In Finland we have a conscript army and I have a one week military refresher course coming up in March. It should be nice and interesting, even fun, but not a holiday as such. :)

      Delete
    2. I always enjoy my time in uniform...except when yanking me away from the painting desk during the challenge!

      Delete
  4. Nice looking gunslinger and great looking greenskins!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those old school snotlings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work Teemu! I like the old skool greenskins and classic basing. The cowboy is definitely an interesting model and I like the poncho color you gave him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff Teemu, loving the old school goblins

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete