Monday 13 March 2023

Iain W 28mm Napoleonic French 20th Chasseurs a cheval (120 points)

 Here are twelve Warlord games mostly plastic chasseurs a cheval . They are the 20th chasseurs a cheval in a rather utilitarian uniform for Napoleonics , they famously broke an Austrian  square at Wagram. I've converted them to wearing the pre 1812 kinski coat except for the trumpeter who us is A metal and B I wanted him to be a bit fancier and C I got fed up carving off stuff to make them kosher for 1809, needless to say the next unit retained their lapels! Interestingly they don't have light horse bridles, except for the metal officer's horse which I've had to add a metal rod to it in order to keep it upright, if you do it like the cover art it collapses after a while, I don't know why he's dynamically charging while everybody else are plodding along? There also isn't any elite distinctions, no epaulets which is a little disappointing, there are sabertaches for some reason so I figured I'd  keep them even if they weren't that common.  I got them long before the Perry plastic version came  out, there really is no comparison to be honest, the Perry set (which I'm still assembling) has everything you could want, the only benefit with the Warlord set is they're relatively rapid to assemble.









Having said all that they're pretty nice to paint, no doubt it helps that the chasseurs uniform is pretty simple , I've added in some Perry hussar heads for a bit of variety and am happy with how they've turned out, especially as I  think they've been undercoated for about five years!

12 x 10 points is 120 points no flags for light cavalry.  Still haven't finished scratch building elements of my renaissance post so I think I'll still be on Napoleonic cavalry for the rest of the challenge!

Final Monday post, thanks Peter for being an efficient and informative Minion, much more than I ever was and apologies for the lack of renaissance and late Roman figures, still it's restarted my Italians war project as I've bought more landsknechts, maybe next year!

All the best

 Iain 

No flag for light cavalry, man?  What  madness is this?  

This unit came out very nicely Iain.  I am a fan of the 1809 era uniform and the Kinski jacket.  Chasseurs lack the fashion style of Hussards but probably worked harder for the lack of it.  I chuckled over you converting the jackets because I  was pretty sure that there were Kinski options in other plastic kits.  I do like the Colpacks for the Elite company.

Great basing on them too.

Great to have you back even if there were no Late Romans or Italian Wars entires from you.


22 comments:

  1. Lovely work. I always like the impact of the white shoulder belt from this period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, yes the white really pops on Napoleonic units!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Wonderful looking Chasseurs, Iain. I've really been enjoying your Napoleonic entries this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, yes it's been pretty solidly Napoleonics this challenge, might change a bit in the last week!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Those are excellent chasseurs, Iain! The attention to detail you did in construction paid off in spades for the final paint. You shouldn't be surprised by the attention you gave to the officer. Officers are natural divas and he is cavalry too so..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, I mean he's not just a cavalry officer, he's a Napoleonic French cavalry officer!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Great unit! There are never enough Chasseurs (specially if you fight the Peninsula War )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benito, that's good because there will be another unit later in the week!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Great stuff! Nice too see more than one colour of horseflesh in a unit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy, yes my previous two guard units were meant to have specialy selected black horses,line light horse, you get whatever you can!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. A fine looking body of men Iain. Wel done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on these, Iain! It’s always nice to see some chasseurs a cheval, they were fairly ubiquitous but relatively scarce on the wargames table. I like the conversions, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes I need to have four units at least of chasseurs I think as I'll end up with three French hussar units and you can't have more hussars than chasseurs!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Great looking Chasseurs Iain, well done

    ReplyDelete