Wednesday 27 December 2023

From BruceR: 12 Polish Voltigeurs 28mm, Overdues and Returns (80 pts)

I've headed into the stacks of the Overdues and Returns of the library.  In the past I painted some Napoleonic Polish infantry from Muraski   miniatures.  I'd ordered a unit special and when received there were no Voltigeurs.  Of course it took some time to finish the troops and when done I decided to place an order for those Voltiguers and I did.  Months passed and I can only imagine they needed to be remolded and were not coming.  Not being a patient person I ordered some Front Rank figures with Colpacks (very cool) and painted those (last years Challenge).  After many months the Voltigeurs did show and as I had painted the others in a box they went. 

This challenge, I did pledge (to myself) to paint some of the languishing figures I had collected and these would add more lights to my French forces scouring the hills for Spanish guerrillas.  

The figures are slim and the rifles slight in comparison to the North Star Spanish I first submitted.  The figures are full of character.  I love troops reaching for cartridges and some of the figures have bandages as well. I also like the side burns and mustaches giving them the veteran look. 

Weather in the plains has been crazily mild until Christmas night when we paid for the nice weather with rain or as the weather folk call it frizzle.  Rain and cold a bad mix.  The roads were shear ice and no travel, with work closed.  So, to the painting desk and here they are somewhat earlier than I expected.  I hope you enjoy.


Early stages


 
Group shot


Ready to invade



The squared shakos


Close up of cartridge grabber, forage cap (touqe up North) and head bandage

I did my standard black undercoat and proceeded to give the faces a dark brown coat.  I work my way out on the miniatures and when complete a wash.  Some highlights and a brush varnish.  Ready for battle.  I and some local friends enjoy Sharp Practice and these will fit in nicely.  Having a counter to the nasty 95th rifles I have will be a welcome option for the French player. 


Points:

12 28mm @5             =     60 pts

Overdues and Returns =   20 pts

Total                                   80 pts

_______________________________________________

These Voltigeurs look excellent, Bruce! I like the bright colours, but you've still given them a weathered, old-campaigners look about them. I'm also quite admiring the arid groundwork you've given them - it definitely evokes those battlefields in Portugal and Spain. Well done!

- Curt

14 comments:

  1. nice start Bruce these are real nice, love what you've done with them,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice painting and basing! 'Frizzle' sounds depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are great Bruce, Murawski are such a superb range if figures

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are truly smart looking voltigeurs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Napoleonics .... Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job, figsvare great but I really love that winter basing 😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work. I’ll second Curt’s comments on the weathered campaign dress and basing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great looking French infantry. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job, who doesn’t love Napoleonic Poles? I have printed some Murawski models, they look great. You’ve certainly done them proud. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are looking great, never too many light infantry!

    ReplyDelete