Sunday 28 January 2024

From BenitoV: 2WW Allied Vehicles Long Time Overdue (60 points)

I'm progressing in this year's Challenge almost at snail pace, as real life (and procrastination on my side) had been interfering lately. This week has been good to me and together with an abnormal warm weather spell (a week of sunny 18-20C degrees in Madrid, +10C over the average January and smashing the January temperature records of the last 200 years) allowed me to work with the airbrush outdoors.

I'm presenting today two 28mm Allied vehicles. The first is part of the batch of recon vehicles planned for this year's Challenge and initiated with the German Lynx shown in an earlier post. This time, it is a British 4-wheeled Humber Mk IV, one of the most produced vehicles during the war (over 6,000 units of the different versions).


The Mark IV saw action between 1941 (first time into service in North Africa) and up to 1961, participating in an obscure little colonial conflict between Portugal and India for the control of Goa, being part of the former country's recon squadrons garrison.



The model has been painted for the Western European theater in 1944-45, in dark green colour and with the British distinctive "Mickey Mouse" cammo scheme.

  


This is a Warlord model of the old thick resin range with some metal parts (gun, wheels, turret hatches among other). There's a nice new Mark IV plastic box and I'm tempted to sell this in eBay and replace with the newer version.


The second contribution today is a US M3 transport halftrack vehicle, one of the most versatile armoured personnel carriers of the Second World War. 


Sincerely, I don't understand the fascination most people in this hobby have with its cousin at the other side of the hill, the German Hanomag, when the M3 was a more solid and reliable vehicle, seeing action well into the 80s in some Asian and latina American armies (incidentally it was the APC of the Spanish army since mid-late 1950s until replaced by the M113 in the 80s)   


This is a plastic kit that I bought second hand (assembled and primed) to one of my club members; for this reason I'm not sure whether it is a Warlord or a Rubicon model 


As said above I bought it before the pandemics in one of the club's bring and buy days, an it's been sitting idle in my box of pending models until literally this week, when  I pushed myself to finish it once and forever (sigh of relief). For this reason I think the model fits well with the criteria of the Library's "Overdues and Return" room.


  

Hence, if my maths are correct, this post will add 60 points to my Challenge scoring this year:

2 x 28mm vehicles @20 points each = 40 points

Room Bonus = 20 points

Total 60 points 



Great job here Benito. Wonderful work on painting up both vehicles, and I have to agree with you that the M3 is the far superior transport over its Axis counterpart.. more so when painted up so well like this here. 

Could only comment on if its warlord or Rubicon based on if the top fun mount is metal. If metal, then Warlord, if plastic than Rubicon. As I don't remember Rubicon having metal upgrade bits like Warlord did. At least from what I remember from assembling both back a few years ago. 

Wonderful post, and a good 60 pts added for you

Kyle




      

26 comments:

  1. Great work, Benito, the painting and the weathering is superb! I love the commander of the Humber. Incidentally, I think you might have claimed some points for him and his American colleague as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot to claim those extra points, your are right. Thanks

      Delete
  2. Both vehicles look superb. I love the weathering, especially on the decals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look so realistic very nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work Benito. Love that venerable M3 - I was unaware of it's long service in the Spanish military!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a Cold War story behind. Spain was under an international embargo since 1945. By mid-50s President Eisenhower decided that its was best to have the country aligned with the Western powers and lifted the embargo, supplying US military stuff to rearm the armed forces

      Delete
  5. Nice work on these! I have to say, though, the Hanomag has sleek lines but the M3 is just a box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right, but I see so many hobby buddies fetichising any German thing with armour...

      Delete
  6. Great little AFVs Benito, nice to see you focusing on the smaller scale work horses rather than the overdone behemoths. Speaking of which dare I ask what scale these are?

    I wasn’t aware the Spain used the M3 so long, but knew that Israel used converted versions for many years. Also kudos for referencing the Goa campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely painted and weathered!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, I like the weathering especially.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great vehicle painting! Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice - I do love a Humber …

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't!! I like all this light vehicles rather than the big cats

      Delete
  11. Excellent vehicles Benito. I have one of each as well and both play great. Yours are superbly done.

    ReplyDelete